Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Whats YOUR favorite production Katana?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich A. View Post
    Just what it says. Whats your fav, why, and maybe a pic. Just want to see what everybody likes.
    My fav cutter is my LL Taketoshi Jishin. It just feels right.

Most of the guys have Bugei, and some think I promote them a tad bit to much sometimes.
    They are just to bulky for me to get any speed out of. Sensei's Dragonfly is wicked fast for him. Not for Me.

"Silly Caucasian Girl, likes to play with Samurai swords"

After much research, I purchased my first katana yesterday... A Ronin Katana Dojo-Pro Model #5. From my research, it's an incredible cutter and it's built like a tank from through-hardened 1060 steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by D. Hupfer; 12-28-2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Adding a picture.

There appears a definite trend towards Bugei. My favorite piece is my beloved Shobu Zukuri. I have just received a Samurai which I am more than a bit disappointed in due to the lack of niku.

Other fave production kats are the Hanwei Wind and Thunder, and for those who prefer something lighter which is still a great design for all intents and purposes, the Practical Pro Elite.
    as QC is somewhat still an issue whith Hanwei, it would be necessary to purchase from a vendor with strict quality policies. IF you get a good specimen, these 2 (and I would include the cheaper Practical Pro) are monster cutters - on par with Bugei IMHO.
    Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Chakkravut Chinalai View Post
    I have just received a Samurai which I am more than a bit disappointed in due to the lack of niku.
    Strange that your samurai has little niku... but I have heard that there are some variances between blades. My samurai has quite obvious niku.
    The Mind Truely Is The Sharpest Blade And The Deadliest Weapon.

I have measure my Samurai's Ji with a ruler and it is flat with a tiny weeny bit of apple seeding near the edge but that's not Niku.
    I have been talking to Susanne from Bugei about this and although they are concerned I can derive from the discussion that this is just an variance within parameters.
    O well, it's a good kat with nice sori, so I will keep it, just not really what I expected from the description.
    Last edited by Chakkravut Chinalai; 10-03-2012 at 12:18 AM.

a recent blade I purchased from Scott Irey tops my list of production blades. Not sure what he's calling them, and I don't know who his smith is. He should be posting some info about them soon. He orders the blades and mounts them, mounts are all custom, (very nice work by Dan Keupp and Goya Kenny), so it may be closer to a semi-custom than a true production blade. Blade shape was sweet, mounts were hot. Price was way too reasonable . I bought it at the West Coast tai kai and used it for the first time that same night at in an embu. and cut a bit with it right after. It did great.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345