Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Super-tana?

Exclamation The Next Super-tana?

REAL Star Wars fans HATE Star Wars (and Lucas)... but LOVE the idea.

Hey Ben! Read that too and got real excited! Been killen me I've checked back 1000 times...whats taken him so long to post the pics!!!

The performance sounds amazing but the sentance that really had me wondering was this one-

"The hamon, not achieved by classical methodology, is impressive and beautiful."

I guess I'll just have to stay tuned for the exciting conclusion after these important messages from our sponsors.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

The heck with the katana; I gotta get me some of that steel! oO

It probably beats the snot out of the junk I have access to. And steals its lunch money.

Also, I love that Paul Chen employs a mad scientist metallurgist.
    "This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

I know that this may come off a bit course to some people here but I really want to make sure to stress that nothing will ever take the place of proper form.

I respect what James Willams is doing for the sword community here, but it irks me when people are promised the moon and stars about these new production peices and then only to find out that its not what it claims to be.

Better matieral in conjunction with proper form is what ya want even if the sword is a Masamune or Excaliber.

Let's give it time and see what's going to happen with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lim View Post
    I know that this may come off a bit course to some people here but I really want to make sure to stress that nothing will ever take the place of proper form.

I respect what James Willams is doing for the sword community here, but it irks me when people are promised the moon and stars about these new production peices and then only to find out that its not what it claims to be.

Better matieral in conjunction with proper form is what ya want even if the sword is a Masamune or Excaliber.

Let's give it time and see what's going to happen with this one.
    Wise words.... Not to pull down the happy vibes here, but until I actually see a video demonstrating the claims of this amazing steel blade, I agree with Tom on all counts.

Even if it can do all those things, even for a production blade it is going to have such a high price point that it will most likely be unaffordable for many.

I apologize again, but i am highly skeptical.
    "We shine, not burn"
    "Tulach Ard"- Clan War cry
    Member of the Cateran Society
    CarolinaGael- For everything about Scotland and Northern Europe!
    http://jayrequard.blogspot.com/

Ah Tom,
    you and your bloody form comes first!Stuff it! I want to hack up a desk chair in a fit of rage and not worry about my edge(grin!)
    Sounds alot like those new T10 steel blades I was talking to Brian Dreirer about over at Ronin.
    Look at the pictures.The hamons look like custom smith stuff(choji).
    -Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Requard View Post
    Wise words.... Not to pull down the happy vibes here, but until I actually see a video demonstrating the claims of this amazing steel blade, I agree with Tom on all counts.

Even if it can do all those things, even for a production blade it is going to have such a high price point that it will most likely be unaffordable for many.

I apologize again, but i am highly skeptical.
    Or it will have copycat katanas with the same or similar make up. I do have to give it up to places like Hanwei and guys like Paul Chen who have opened the flood gates for people who want a decent peice to start out with. Back in the day when I first started, we only had the Stainless Steel Marto stuff.

I just chuckle when I see guys go nuts over something that is nothing more than a prototype. And before we all start high fiving each other, let's let this peice go thru its paces before we think that it is the best thing since sliced bread.
    Last edited by Tom Lim; 02-01-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tom geusz View Post
    Ah Tom,
    you and your bloody form comes first!Stuff it! I want to hack up a desk chair in a fit of rage and not worry about my edge(grin!)
    Sounds alot like those new T10 steel blades I was talking to Brian Dreirer about over at Ronin.
    Look at the pictures.The hamons look like custom smith stuff(choji).
    -Tom
    HAHAHAHAHA! I got your form right here Tom. And yeah I agree with you about the other thing.

Or it will have copycat katanas with the same or similar make up. I do have to give it up to places like Hanwei and guys like Paul Chen who have opened the flood gates for people who want a decent peice to start out with. Back in the day when I first started, we only had the Stainless Steel Marto stuff.

I just chuckle when I see guys go nuts over something that is nothing more than a prototype. And before we all start high fiving each other, let's let this peice go thru its paces before we think that it is the best thing since sliced bread.
    I think I should clarify (though I know you were not accusing me of anything, Tom):

I think that Hanwei has helped the sword world in such amazing and wonderful ways that i would ever try to take away their amazing accomplishments. I am not a buyer of Japanese swords, but I have tremendous respect for both Hanwei, James Williams, and Bugei of whom I respect very much.

That being said, something about this sounds too good to be true.
    "We shine, not burn"
    "Tulach Ard"- Clan War cry
    Member of the Cateran Society
    CarolinaGael- For everything about Scotland and Northern Europe!
    http://jayrequard.blogspot.com/

tom geusz:
    were did you see pics? checked the link and cant find em....

Hi Rich,
    I have no idea if these T10 blades are the same thing James Williams is talking about but usually in my opinion as soon as something 'new' comes out of these Chinese forges word spreads quickly and nothing is secret very long.Most of the better offshoots were started by orignal members of the first forges.Now there are too many to count.
    Brian Dreier of Ronin swords had mentioned this new tough type of steel with really flambouant choji hamons in a conversation last week.He emailed some pictures to me(which I have no idea how to post here) and they looked different than the usual chinese fair.
    I'm sure he'd be happy to ablige you,Rich.
    Remember L-6 anyone?

I just chuckle when I see guys go nuts over something that is nothing more than a prototype.
    But isn't that what we do here... We all love blades and get excited when we hear about something new. After all this is the Modern Production Katanas section... isn't it?

I see your point Aaron, and that is where things will bite ya, because of the hype, the whispers and stuff. Not until a definitive critique by a guy like James Williams (Not the condensed one on his forum) but a better critique where a measurement of good and bad can be looked at should we consider it.

Getting excited is all well and good when something new is about to hit the market, when we get new things added to our collection and so on.

But you won't get down to the nitty gritty of the peice until all of that wears out and you can finally see the peice for what it is and make a decent call.

Nevermind. Not even worth it.
    REAL Star Wars fans HATE Star Wars (and Lucas)... but LOVE the idea.

I think it's probably a sign that Hanwei is going for L6.

Still though, you can't argue the fact that Hanwei probably did more good things for the production sword community than any other production sword maker. So when he said it's Hanwei that's making these new type of blades I feel like I can put a little bit more faith and expectations into them.

Or maybe it's something better than L6, who knows, Hanwei's a big company, they can affort more time and resource into researches.

James Williams actually said its not L6, but a differnt steel and process, and T10 has been around a little bit.

All these talks are useless until we see some pics of the sword. Dammit does anyone personally know James Williams? Please tell him to upload the photos!

I agree. until its reviewed by a outside source its just hear-say

This is the perfect blade for my highlander project, it can chop into concrete without suffering any apparent damage. Now, if it'll cleave the front fender off a suburban I'm totally sold.

What caught my eye is the statement that it "resists corrosion"....

So..... a modern heat treated steel that can resist bending, has a beautiful hamon and can resist corrosion.........omg it sounds like Noob heaven

So can it correct your technique or better yet, cut for you too...LOL: If so, I'd be in love.

curious none the less from an educational standpoint. Nice that Paul Chen is pushing the envelope
    Last edited by J. Pitts; 02-02-2009 at 12:46 PM.
    Misaki Ito will someday be mine

Knowledge is arrogance when one thinks it is complete.

A true test of a man is what he does when he knows that he won't be found out .

CLICK to view my humble artwork

Hey there, I held this sword at the SHOT show, I thought it was really nice, it looked amazing. The hamon was very cool, and fitting were nice. When I picked it up I thought it just another display place, however, James stated that it was his sword. Needless to say, I put the sword down, though he said he didn't mind if I held it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fields View Post
    Hey there, I held this sword at the SHOT show, I thought it was really nice, it looked amazing. The hamon was very cool, and fitting were nice. When I picked it up I thought it just another display place, however, James stated that it was his sword. Needless to say, I put the sword down, though he said he didn't mind if I held it. lol

How heavy was it in comparison to other katanas you might have held?
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. Japanese Proverb

It was just as heavy as any other katana of similar size and geometry. Remember, all steels have just about same densities, so it's the size and geometry that effect the weight, not the steel.

I'm really looking forward to seeing any data on what this thing is capable of, especially after the strong statements from Williams Sensei.

I remember hearing something about an L6 and a major appliance, but never got a chance to actually see it.

If this really is what we are reading, it should be pretty excellent.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast