Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Next Super-tana?

The hamon isn't too boring, but that habaki steals the show in my books. Wow.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

The hamon looks too random to me... the habaki IS stunning....

i'm just about positive the production version will *not* have that habaki. it was mentioned as being mounted in nami ryu mounts, and that seems to be the style. i'm curious what the final mount theme will be.

i'm wondering why the material hasn't been officially listed yet. if it's gonne be copied, it's gonna be copied. seems kind of silly to play cloak and dagger so much.
    les yeich (pronounced yike)

helden wie wir sterben doch allein,
    einsam unerreicht werden wir sein.
    - the "great" jasmin wagner

weird that they are being so secretive about it, where is the harm in showing the geometry of the blade, are they worried cheness will run out and make one?

hamon is nice but a little to wild and patchy for my tastes

that habaki is probably available at half the cost of the sword

Aye they are cunning those Cheness(haha).

Quote Originally Posted by J.Williams View Post
    weird that they are being so secretive about it, where is the harm in showing the geometry of the blade, are they worried cheness will run out and make one?
    Not Cheness so much as Cold Steel; they're probably still stinging from the Dragonfly knock-off and trying to give Hanwei sufficient lead-time to get the production tooling and process optimized so their new design remains unique for as long as possible.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by M.K. Ridgeway View Post
    The hamon looks too random to me... the habaki IS stunning....
    Didn't someone say that the hamon is nontradtitionally made on this one? It shouldn't matter, anyway, really, not if what they're saying is true. I'll ask Mr. Williams if he can clarify it?

Also, 5160 is one of the other steels you hear guys making bainitic for blades. Affordable Bainite. mmmm
    Last edited by Jeff Ellis; 02-18-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

However, after looking at the flier again and drooling onto ym keyboard, I remembered my biggest annoyance with Hanwei... They only make swords in one length, and that depends on what sword it is. I'd seriously be willing to pay more for a sword that I could get in various lengths.
    I like swords.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.

did not know about the bad blood over the dragonfly

since coldsteel blades don't appeal to me for their lack
    of hamon, tsuka shaping, fittings being sub par, and the
    ito being tied with extra slack on purpose~

hehe

have never seen one that doesn't suffer from that
    and I have seen at least 12 of them. The imperials series that is.

but their own quote
    "As a way of compensating for this size disparity, Cold Steel has created the Dragonfly Series samurai swords. These samurai swords feature thicker, wider and heavier blades, which mirror the Imperial Series in respect to heat treatment, polish, quality of furnishings, and attention to detail, but with a few new departures. "

so I wouldn't expect this dragonfly to compare to the zukuri from Bugei which had great black iron fittings and a clean tight ito.

But if the flyer is already out there and the blades are available then coldsteel might already be working on a knockoff~
    But that's pretty much SOP in business, and especially in china.

hehe

have never seen one that doesn't suffer from that
    and I have seen at least 12 of them. The imperials series that is.
    i've personally owned one of every single japanese style sword (including wakizashi and tanto; both imperial and warrior) offered by cold steel, excepting the dragonfly series and the nodachi, and i have *never* encountered any of the problems you listed. considering the swords come from the same place as dynasty forge, last legend, swordstore, the now defunct cicada forge, and several other retailers, i think you'd be very hard-pressed to back up those statements. no offense meant, just pointing out that a *lot* of the posters on here are *very* familiar with a lot of brands, and we jump on claims like that *very* quickly. the only time i've actually ever encountered negative feedback on the cold steel stuff was a.) second-hand people who were just regurgitating others' statements b.) people who don't know enough about japanese-style stuff to realize the pob isn't going to be 3" (this started the crowbar myths, despite all the blades i've owned or handled being quite pleasant), and c.) other brands who criticize them to make their stuff seem better. the last instance being especially funny back when last legend first came out, and claimed *their* 1050 blades didn't rust as fast, even though they came from- if not the exact same foundry- related foundries!

i'm also not awars of there being any bad blood between cs and bugei. i was mostly just being anecdotal about guarding their designs, as any copies of production blades rarely ever get taken very seriously, i.e. the ebay copies of hanwei tsuba. i'm pretty sure we're just witnessing a marketing tactic. nothing wrong with that, just a little annoying to those without the patience to wait it out!

off topic - in defense of CS

Ive owned 4 col steel katana and on all of them
    I thought the iron fittings were above the quality of price comparable swords from hanwei or LL ,

the tsuka shaping is/was way better than the tsuka on the low to mid end chen swords ,

they had some nice touches a well like a matching iron kojiri on the saya and nice thick copper saya instead of the usual plani butt ugly brass seppa that chen katana have .

also the 'handles like a crowbar myth' is usually passed on as hearsay - Les , I believe you once
    said that anyone who says cold steel katana are too heavy to use needs to take out a gym membership

if that is one of your quotes I agree with you mate

I wont defend Lynn Thompson in hot pants on the sword proof dvd though ( shudders )
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

not offended by you having a good experience with them, in fact that's a really good thing. I just haven't is all. And my experience with cs is only on their imperial katana line. maybe all the ones I have held have all been seconds. But I find it interesting that all the ones you have owned have had hamon but none of the ones I have ever seen did.

my only guess is that they have upped the quality level from the last time I played around with one which was about 5 years ago.

my experience with them then was enough to turn me off to them permanently, so the next time I see one I'll inspect it more closely to see if they have changed, from their website it looks like the warrior series has nicer fittings then the imperial though at first glance~

they may all come from the same forging neighborhood in northern china, but they are all treated differently depending on who they go to and what they cost ofcourse.

there are always diamonds in the ruff~

hehehe i probably said something like that. i always laugh when i see people clamor about how great the balance is on a df or huanuo piece, and then see all these "cold steel are *so* heavy" posts. honestly they're pretty much identical blades. if it's too heavy for you, then either you're just too weak to pick up a sword, or else you've fallen for this mistaken myth that katana should have a pob of 3" or less.

actually the double edged kat i got from them had probably *the* best tsuka shaping i've *ever* seen on a production piece. it was very waisted, which i like. also one of the fastest blades i've ever handled. it and the kc 26 were almost scary fast. i had trouble trusting myself not to injure myself!

on the down-side it seems some retailers offer similar blades at a little more competitive price.

But I find it interesting that all the ones you have owned have had hamon but none of the ones I have ever seen did.
    who said anything about hamon?

Quote Originally Posted by les yeich View Post
    who said anything about hamon?
    I did remember as one of things lacking in their blades and
    one of the reasons they do not appeal to me, and you said I would have a hard time backing it up~

" quote from previous thread "
    "

Guys,
    I asked over on the Bugei forum to find out what I could. Apparently, and I might have missed you all saying something about this, the Raptor blades are *not* the same blade that you see in the photo on the Bugei site.

My interests are perked even further...
    I like swords.

I did remember as one of things lacking in their blades and
    one of the reasons they do not appeal to me, and you said I would have a hard time backing it up~

" quote from previous thread "
    "
    you seriously need to read posts before replying to them, as what i'm refering to is the following(which i quoted in my previous post):

But I find it interesting that all the ones you have owned have had hamon but none of the ones I have ever seen did.
    again, when did i or anyone else mention cold steel having hamon?

your statement to my post was

"i have *never* encountered any of the problems you listed."

in my list of things was a the lack of hamon, so I was laughing because you included that and said you hadn't experienced anything
    I listed

nevermind, now that I have explained it is just going to grind the chance of it being a joke into the dirt

apparently it either wasn't understood as a joke or just not funny

either is fine

and I'm patient enough to wait out the reviews of several people here getting one of these super blades, but if it takes to long I may succumb to getting one because I love shobu. and I have a great koto period tsuba in my collection that needs a good home.

next week I will try to drop by Bugei and have a look see.
    Last edited by J.Williams; 02-20-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Also, I'm told that the Raptor series will not be available until midsummer. But I am really excited to see one.
    I like swords.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ellis View Post
    Also, I'm told that the Raptor series will not be available until midsummer. But I am really excited to see one.

I have heard the same... I have one on order, so when they get here I 'll put up a review...

I'm getting the uno-kubi

Quote Originally Posted by M.K. Ridgeway View Post
    I have heard the same... I have one on order, so when they get here I 'll put up a review...

I'm getting the uno-kubi
    I would be getting the u-no-kubi, but I don't like that wrap. The shinogi looks good, but it's a little shorter than I'm used to.. Hanwei really needs to do length options...
    I like swords.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456