Thread: WTB: Antique Chinese Jian or Daos, Especially Twist-Core

WTB: Antique Chinese Jian or Daos, Especially Twist-Core

Hi All!

I have been collecting Chinese arms for about 1 1/2 years and am looking to buy antique jians, daos or hudiedao swords, with or without fittings and/or complete with scabbards. The blades must be made of good quality high carbon steel that is lamellar construction (Hand-folded) and differentially heated, not those flimsy wu shu style spring steel. I am especially looking for an antique twist-core blade. What I am willing to pay depends on the piece and condition, but the more original the piece the better.

For jian, the blade must be at least 27 inches (68.58 centimeter) long and not in such disrepair that it cannot be polished if it has not been polished already. I want a nice antique jian for practicing jian forms.

For daos, the blade must be at least 24 inches (61 centimeter) long and not in such disrepair that it cannot be polished if it has not been polished already.

For hudiedao, the blades must be at least 12 inches (30.5 centimeter) long and not in such disrepair that it cannot be polished if it has not been polished already. I prefer the chopper Wing Chun style, but would take a stabbing style if the price was right.

I will most likely send anything I buy to Philip Tom in Southern California for authentication and polishing, so your sword must be able to pass his scrutiny. Please send recent detailed photos.

Thanks!
    T. Lee

CA, USA

PS. Please feel free to contact me at tim2417@yahoo.com or PM, but please don't spam me.
    Last edited by T.Lee; 04-04-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Adding e-mail address as suggested by the moderator's suggestions.

Cool Twist core? Now that's a good one...

Hi T. Lee,

Man, you should have gotten into the game about 15-20 years ago. Did twist core jian grow on trees? Hardly. They are an extreme anomaly, to say the least. Frankly, I have been collecting Chinese arms for 17 years and have seen only 3 for sale, all of them for more $$$ than I had. If you have 5 or 6 thousand dollars in your back pocket, you may have a marginal chance. Maybe on a good day? Never on any other day. Have a successful hunt. If so, do post the photos on this forum. Go get 'em tiger!!!

Be well and practice often, Jon Palombi
    "A wise person aspires the study of swordsmanship. A lucky person finds a worthy teacher, an unlucky person finds yet another student... in the guise of a genuine Master. Sadly, a fool cannot tell the difference either way." Anecdotes of The Unknown Swordsman

Hi Jon!

Back then I was collecting guitars, game-used baseball equipment and first edition Edgar Rice Burroughs books and the Internet didn't exist, so all I got was some practice Choy Li Fut hudiedao, which are probably worth less than what I bought them for.

Now as my collections have changed I can try to learn and get swords. I'm lucky that I've run into some reputable dealers and have yet to really been taken yet, except for those willy Chinese in Hong Kong.

If I can't find an antique twist-core I could always get a modern custom made one, which I have been considering getting these last few months...

Still looking for those antique twist-core or regular jians.

Bump.

Still looking.

Still looking.

For sale

Hi T Lee, I have a lot for sale, no twist core but all genuine.

You have a Private message.

Gav

Still looking.

Still looking.

Swords

Try looking up a dealer here in England. We looted the east pretty thoroughly in the 19th c, and Chinese swords are not really rated here, though they turn up regularly at the arms fairs.
    I picked up a willow leaf type, heavy unfullered blade with a good taper a couple of years back for about £30. Good standard swords in decent nick with all their mounts appear for under £100 still.

Thanks of the suggestion. Kind of hard finding dealers in Europe, because for the most part when one does an Internet search they are not coming up, so if you have some dealers names you can PM me that have on-line catalogs...

T. Lee You might check out this fellow over at Don Foggs Forum he did a Dao and it looks great

Here's the link http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index....=&fromsearch=1

British dealers

A lot of the smaller (less expensive) guys do not do an online catalogue, though you could try "gunstar" which is a UK site ,mainly for guns would you believe, but swords turn up there regularly.
    Otherwise at the next antique arms fair I go to I will pick up some cards from good prospects and contact you here again.