Thread: Han dynasty jian and ring pommel swords.

Han dynasty jian and ring pommel swords.

Hello everyone.

Sorry if this thread has already been made,but I would like to discuss the Han dynasty iron ring pommel swords and the Iron jian.
    More specifically the size of these swords.

I have seen examples over 100Cm long but also smaller examples of about 50 or 60 CM.
    Which were used for what wouldn't a +1m sword be very unwieldy on a battlefield or were they used by certain troops? Same goes for the jian they seem overly large especially considering people then weren't all that tall to begin with.

Below are a polished and treated version of the larger ring pommel swords above 95cm.

Also any good recommendations on books about these swords I mean in depth and not 1 picture of a part of a book on Chinese history?

Thank you and kind regards
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    It is said that there once a Japanese King used it before in the war...some chinese seller about a fugly looking fake katana.

It's pity there's no specific study book focus on this topic. But it's true most of the Han dynasty jian or ring pommel swords are longer the 100cm.

I collect many Han Jian and sword. I think the reason they are so long is all about the way people fight. Before Han Dynasty, people uses bronze jian which is about 40cm~60cm and Han Dynasty is a combination generation soliders armed in both of bronze and steel sword. Longer steel sword or jian definitely brings terrible advantage in coverage in battles.