Thread: Powel Nowak scammer back again

Powel Nowak scammer back again

He's back.

"Hi !

I have two japanese swords (katana and tanto) with the blade from XVIII and XIX century and I would like to sell them for the reasonable price (600US$). If you think you could have an interest, let me know.

Regards."

dont fall for this guys b.s.

got that today mate......deleted

I just got that eMail too. What's this guy's deal? Just takes the money and runs?

peace.

From the way it sounds, it seems to be a foreign scam. A guy who probably only communicates via email or ip relay, may or may not be located in Nigeria and takes payments via western union.

Where i used to work i would have to deal with dozens of people like this on a daily basis, usually it was about puppies though, and they have really obvious "i'm a scammer" names borrowed from celebrities, and their email address would be something really strange like "thomaseatspets@yahoo.com".
    Chibi Ken-shi

Race Sims
    Mclaren F1 `05 "Burn my Shadow"

Ford RS200 backwards at the Ring
    CTDP F1 2006 Renault At Nurburgring
    Understeer is when you hit the guardrail with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the guardrail with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the guardrail. Torque is how far you move the guardrail.

eMaled him back requesting more info and pics, just for the hell of it.

-----------------------------------

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. The blade (Blade Length: 28.75 inches Nakago: 7.25 inches .7 mm thick 30 mm wide) I am talking about I have got from one man, Mr. Milakow from California. That was a few years ago. His grandfather was an American officer who served in the US Army during the WWII on Pacific. He was a POW and after the war, he got the sword from one of the Japanese officers. The sword has a WWII wear but the blade, according to the swordsman is from the first part of the XVIII century. If you look at the signs on the blade you will see I am wright. I am not a collector. I am an archivist who has an interest in Maritime History. I live in Poland (EU). I am just before my next research trip to Spain and I am looking for the additional funds. So, I could sell the katana for the fee of $600. I also have a tanto from late XIX century and I could sell it for 300US$. If you think you could have any interest in such sword, please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Pawel

I just got this email to

Hi!

I have two japanese swords (katana and tanto) with the blade from XVIII and XIX century
    and I would like to sell them for the reasonable price (600US$). If you think you could
    have an interest, let me know.

Regards.

Shipwrecks.Research271275@yahoo.com

A scammer you say.. So should we play??
    So how do we catch this prick?
    Last edited by Phil Hettel; 07-24-2009 at 09:52 AM.

You don't.
    He is a very well organised syndicate, not just one guy, and many have tried. They can send you very good fake photos, drivers licence, id book and anything else, but nothing works to nail him. I think they have serious police connections too, as even some Polish contacts have not managed to nail him. However there is always a way, and some out there are busy with some tricks.
    Don't bother to try and engage him in "foreplay" as it gets no-where and is a waste of time. They have been doing this for over 10 years now I think. Oneday they will get what they deserve though..perhaps even disappear permanently.

Brian

Hey awesome I got one too.. I wasn't sure who he was so I searched sfi for "powel" and sure enough up came this sticky. Thanks sfi ! :-D

"

Hi,

A few days ago I have sent to you an email with information about 2 japanese swords I have for sale. I have a temporary problem with my Yahoo server and I send an email from my alternative Gmail email.

I have 2 japanese swords (katana and tanto) for sale. Katana has a late XVIII century blade and tanto is from late XIX century. I can sell them for the reasonable price.

Keep me inform if you could have an interest.

Pawel,
    Shipwrecks.Research271275@gmail.com"

Also updated on the General forum thread. There are several email addies form him/them that will turn up.

Glen

I think he just emails anyone that has anything to do with Japanese swords, since i got an email from him too, it was on an old email that i hardly ever check though. He's just copying and pasting the exact same thing to everyone.

I even got the same exact email 2 days after the first one.
    Chibi Ken-shi

Race Sims
    Mclaren F1 `05 "Burn my Shadow"

Ford RS200 backwards at the Ring
    CTDP F1 2006 Renault At Nurburgring
    Understeer is when you hit the guardrail with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the guardrail with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the guardrail. Torque is how far you move the guardrail.

and another email for the collection...
    Hi,

A few days ago I have sent to you an email with information about 2 japanese swords I have for sale. I have a temporary problem with my Yahoo server and I send an email from my alternative Gmail email.

I have 2 japanese swords (katana and tanto) for sale. Katana has a late XVIII century blade and tanto is from late XIX century. I can sell them for the reasonable price.

Keep me inform if you could have an interest.

Pawel,
    Shipwrecks.Research271275@gmail.com
    Chidokan

I like ww2 items also and this scammer is big into that arena also. He's the polish version of the Nigerian prince who wants to give you 3 million dollars.

He shotguns out emails and out of 10,000 emails he seems to catch 15-20 which is a good living.

He always catches the greedy Nazi collectors last one I know of got hit for 5K.

Like someone else said It is not one person it is a ring

Thanks for the heads-up

I too received this message in a reply to an advertisement I posted on Gumtree.com.au offering to buy swords -
    Forewarned I'll avoid this guy -
    Has anyone lost money to him in the past? Is he known to any authorities for scamming activities?
    Bry Shaw

Hey guys,
    Just received an email from our friend. Though I'd ask for photos to post here.

Email 1:
    Hello:

I am a private collector and I have 2 japanese swords (katana and tanto) with the blade from XVIII century. I would like to sell them for the reasonable price (700US$ and 450US$). If you could have an interest, please write directly to: xxx@gmail.com

All the best.
    xxx@gmail.com

Email 2:
    Thank you for your answer. The blade (Blade Length: 28.75 inches Nakago: 7.25 inches .7 mm thick 30 mm wide) I am talking about I have got from one man, Mr. Milakow from California. That was a few years ago. His grandfather was an American officer who served in the US Army during the WWII on Pacific. He was a POW and after the war, he got the sword from one of the Japanese officers. The sword has a WWII wear but the blade, according to the swordsman is from the first part of the XIX century. If you look at the signs on the blade you will see I am wright. I am not a collector. I am an archivist who has an interest in Maritime History. I live in Poland (EU). I am just before my next research trip to Spain and I am looking for the additional funds. So, I could sell the katana for the fee of $700. I also have a tanto from late XIX century and I could sell it for 450US$. If you think you could have any interest in such sword, please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Pawel

Last edited by Jeffrey Ching; 01-11-2010 at 08:27 AM.

more pics:

Yep, i got one message from him, with those swords the other day....

I finally feel like I have passed a rite of manhood and entered the ranks of the international sword community. I just received this interesting offer:

"Hello:

I am a private collector and I have 2 japanese swords (katana and tanto) with the blade from XVIII century. I would like to sell them for the reasonable price (700US$ and 450US$). If you could have an interest, please write directly to: withheld@gmail.com

Pawel
    withheld@gmail.com "

Sounds totally legit... I bet I can talk him down to $600 shipped for the katana. I'll just wire the money to him using the keyphrase "are soon parted".

:)

Quote Originally Posted by tony vannelli View Post
    i finally feel like i have passed a rite of manhood and entered the ranks of the international sword community. I just received this interesting offer:

"hello:

I am a private collector and i have 2 japanese swords (katana and tanto) with the blade from xviii century. I would like to sell them for the reasonable price (700us$ and 450us$). If you could have an interest, please write directly to: withheld@gmail.com

pawel
    withheld@gmail.com "

sounds totally legit... I bet i can talk him down to $600 shipped for the katana. I'll just wire the money to him using the keyphrase "are soon parted".

that was very good!

I'm form Poland, but i never heard of this guy before. And our Nihonto community is quite small and we know each other. But there is a simple method to solve this mystery. One of you should "buy"but do not pay of course those swords and demand collecting them in person, I can help with that with few friends I wonder if this person would even agree to inspect those swords personally.

Bartosz,
    These guys are a large and organized syndicate, and they do not fall for things like that. They are working with perhaps hundreds of thousands of $'s per year. People have tried to stop them, but not sure if they have contacts in the police or what...but no-one can touch them. The name is fake, the id is fake, so are all the documents they can provide. Stolen identify including photos. Obviously there is no one person doing this called Pawel Nowak.
    The best you could do is call the Polish commercial crimes unit and ask why they don't take action. The money goes into Polish bank accounts, so there has to be a way to trace them. But no-one has done anything in probably 10 years. How highly are these guys connected?

Brian

That really sucks that people do this. The question to ask then is who is trustworthy? Times are tough and I know I work hard for what little money I make, too hard to loose it to a scam.

I posted an ad looking for a French HC anxiii. Was very surprised to get my own photos sent back to me, taken from my website of a sword on my wall!!!

Cheeky buggers.
    "Won't you stop citing laws to us who have our swords by our sides?"