Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the hatred for Cheness?

I like KC stuff as well.
    I have mostly "viking" stuff from Albion, but one of my favorites ever is the KC Viking, I used it to split a helmet once, no edge damage at all. I did not document with photos though mores the pitty

i know we're kind of drifting from the op's topic here, but i've got a ton of good kc tales! man they can be abused...
    les yeich (pronounced yike)

helden wie wir sterben doch allein,
    einsam unerreicht werden wir sein.
    - the "great" jasmin wagner

Re:kc

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post
    I'm a fan of KC's no-flash-and-all-function mentality as well. What really puts KC up there is showcasing exactly what Cheness (for example) lacks; consistently good products.
    Wow, thanks guys. I really like the look of the KC as well, I'm surprised I have not run across them before. The only negative I can find about the KC katana is they only seem to carry acid etched blades, no real hamon. But the furniture is actually very much to my taste, I spent years in Kagoshima/Satsuma and the swords you see there tend to be very simple koshirae, I really love the KC tsuba. The plain saya concept is briliant also as it would be so much easier to refinish yourself. The same thing appealed to me about the Kaze, the potential for DIY. Years ago I studied jewelry design but never really did much with it. So I have all the tools in the shed and a big bag of fine silver grain that is all just being wasted, the idea just developed to maybe try and play around with it all and see what I might be able to come up with for myself. I have no idea if this come to fruition, but it has been a fun idea to bounce around the head.

just a little side note; kc doesn't etch their blades. they have pictures up of etched blades just so you know what the hamon looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by les yeich View Post
    just a little side note; kc doesn't etch their blades. they have pictures up of etched blades just so you know what the hamon looks like.
    Ok, so does that mean it is a tempered blade without hamon or it does have a natural hamon?

it means there's a hamon, but the polish may not exhibit it except in certain lights.

I received a "Oniyuri" 9260 Bujinkan Katana in a trade,I'm not usually the biggest katana fan but I liked this one especially the blade being 23 inchs and the tsuka being 14 inchs.
    http://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers-...m/oniyuri.html
    I also am not a fan of the all black katana's usual wrappings I reallly dug the red one in Kill Bill, so i sent it out along with a tsuba I have had for years, a rain dragon and had it antiqued

and had it rewraapped in red cotton and the saya done in red and black silk,I think it makes a big differance in the looks also making it one of a kind.BTW it handles great I love the shorter bladed,no real hamon just 9260 spring steel.

Last edited by M.Lee; 08-04-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Luck often enough will save a man, if his courage hold. (Buliwyf)

If I had wanted your opinion, I would have examined your entrails.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Lones View Post
    Ok, so does that mean it is a tempered blade without hamon or it does have a natural hamon?
    KC-blades have a real hamon, but it's very subtle and kinda hard to bring out due to the steel/heat treatment they use. Some people use hybrid polish with acid finish to bring it out, I managed to make it slightly more visible using just uchiko-powder.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

KC-blades have a real hamon, but it's very subtle and kinda hard to bring out due to the steel/heat treatment they use. Some people use hybrid polish with acid finish to bring it out, I managed to make it slightly more visible using just uchiko-powder.
    Thanks Timo and everyone, I think the KC will be the next katana I try out now.

Hiya, i like to mention that it is best to stay on their 5160 katana line, as they do have other type katanas at lower prices. Also, you can have a closer look at this Review.

To be honest, this one is bad by anybody's standards. Or at least it should be. Whoever shaped the nakago had either no idea what to do or made it with only one thing in mind and that was to create something that would wedge into a one-size-fits-all tsuka-core. Really, it's horrible. If it was mine, I'd take it to my father's machine works and spend a lot of quality time with a belt-grinder; that is, if I were able to remove the habaki first, which seems impossible.. To put this in context, it's worse (on all accounts except blade finish) than my $50 "Masahiro Bamboo" (too bad they don't make them like they used to).
    such harsh words about my baby ...

as far as cheness goes; decent blades, shame about the rest.
    Last edited by Paul Cliff; 08-14-2009 at 01:57 PM.
    'There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.' - Commander William Adama.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cliff View Post
    such harsh words about my baby ...

as far as cheness goes; decent blades, shame about the rest.
    Sorry about that mate, but it's hard to come up with positive things to say about this one.. Well, it is shiny!
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

I just purchased my first production Katana, it was a Cheness Kaze. There are only two point with which I am disapointed, one being the habaki is not removable and two the kisaki but overall it is far nicer than I really expected actually. I have handled both the Hanwei Tori Elite, which I love the feel of the leather ito in my hands and I have handled a DF Musashi class sword, while I liked the fuchi kushira and tsuba better on the DF I really am impressed with the hamon on my Kaze. Given you get what you pay for I still feel the Kaze is a very decent product for the price. I am planning to still purchase a DF Bushi class sword and I am now thinking of a Kris Cutlery katana as well but overall I would have to give the Kaze a decent mark really.
    PS, cut a few pop bottles yesterday, very cleanly done, even the empty one. Nice blade.
    Last edited by A. Lones; 08-15-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by A. Lones View Post
    I just purchased my first production Katana, it was a Cheness Kaze. There are only two point with which I am disapointed, one being the habaki is not removable ..
    WTF? If you cannot remove the habaki, something is seriously wrong!

WTF? If you cannot remove the habaki, something is seriously wrong!
    not always. I come across tight habaki all the time. Usually I have to wrap the habaki area thickly in a rag, clamp it to a vice, then tap the nakago until it is loose. Unless they epoxied it on or something, even habaki wedged on tightly will come off. It got on after all.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Justice View Post
    not always. I come across tight habaki all the time. Usually I have to wrap the habaki area thickly in a rag, clamp it to a vice, then tap the nakago until it is loose. Unless they epoxied it on or something, even habaki wedged on tightly will come off. It got on after all.
    So you were able to remove it. And I said "if you cannot remove the habaki".

I shouldn't say that I cannot but rather that I was unable to with my hands, Thanks for the explanation though Aaron, I will try that next time I clean it. Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12