Thread: My Odinblades Zweihander is here!

My Odinblades Zweihander is here!

http://picasaweb.google.com/JordanMA...eat=directlink

Iím honored to present Odinblades latest creation, a 16th century Zweihander.

OA-72 1/4
    Blade length-53 3/4
    Hilt-18 Ĺ
    Grip-14
    Ricasso-8 1/4
    Sharpened edge-43 1/4
    Guard width-18
    Width at lugs-5 Ĺ
    Blade width at hilt-1 7/8
    Blade width under lugs-2 3/8
    Blade thickness at hilt 5/16
    Blade thickness at tip-1/8
    Blade material-203E/W2
    Guard/pommel-5160H
    8 lbs on the dot

When considering a sword I knew I wanted a big one. Looking around on some of the sword and blade forums, I came across a custom smith known for making large swords. I didnít want a production sword, I wanted MY sword. One that no one else would have. In the end, one that would be true to history while still being original. John Lundemo of Odinblades could fill that order. However, I wanted the greatest sword John had ever created and I know thatís just what I got! From his website and postings during the time I ordered it, I came across a beautiful pattern welded Zweihander John had made. I wanted one similar, only bigger and better. It needed Jerry Rados damascus for one thing and Jerry quickly agreed to the 6 foot project. I had originally intended on using damascus for the whole sword, but Iím so happy in the end with the darkened fittings I wouldnít change it if I could. I also wanted a fish tail style pommel, but John pushed for a more traditional style when considering historical accuracy. Iím so glad he did. John had kept me in the dark of how the fittings would actually look. I had some general requirements of what I wanted but trusted in his ability and skill to make me what I really wanted. I can honestly say its better than I imagined, and I have a good imagination!

This sword is damascus all the way through to the pommel, no weld at the tang Its 8 lbs weight makes it feel ďnot to heavyĒ in the hand when considering its tremendous length. Its so well balanced. It isnít much of a strain to hold the sword at your side and keep the tip off the ground. It balances perfectly when gripped in the ricasso. Iíve never held such a solid sword. It rings throughout the whole sword when it brushes against cloth. Its blade is truly stunning, high level random of 203E and W2. Jerry made it so the layers are very tight all along the edge.

I would like to thank Mr. Rados for his part in this amazing sword and wish him the best. Both John and Jerryís last names are etched into the blade on one side near the hilt between the fullers at my request.

We looked at many examples of Zweihanders and took ideas from multiple swords. Sword weights of this kind at this length were between 8 and 13 lbs. Iím pleased to have it come in on the lighter end of the scale. I ignorantly wanted it to be a little heavier, closer to 9 lbs; but even at only 8 lbs itís a beast. When held straight out, the tip dips very slightly, maybe Ĺ inch. I expected more. I thought being a big guy I would be able to handle this thing easily, I was wrong. Though most examples of battle swords of this style were shorter. I have a lot of respect for those soldiers in history who actually used something like this all the time. I am also a bit on the skiddish side because I donít want to bury the tip in the ground or do something stupid in which I make it harder on myself than it really is to handle.

I canít thank John enough for this masterpiece. He was great to work with, always letting me call to bug him and humoring me with his stories throughout the process. He has really become a true friend of mine as he would with any of his customers. I would recommend Odinblades to anyone looking for a real one-of-a-kind sword, especially a big one! He is known for his fantasy style swords, but I hope this and others show his skills that go beyond pre-conceived notions. He is able to create whatever you want, historical, fantasy or a little bit of both

I apologize for the bad pictures; however, I will post better quality pictures in a few days. Thanks for your patience!

simply beautiful. very graceful proportions.
    les yeich (pronounced yike)

helden wie wir sterben doch allein,
    einsam unerreicht werden wir sein.
    - the "great" jasmin wagner

Only a few swordsmiths can make a design of extra-large dimensions look elegant and refined. John keeps getting better all the time. Congrats on a very fine piece.

Just spectacular. Congrats and well done to you and John.

Wow! John does amazing work. I currently own three swords made by John...two of which I commissioned and one I picked up from a forumite. All three are my very favorites in my collection. I'm pretty sure I won't ever have anyone else make another sword for me as a custom commission. Congrats on this piece of art!
    When life hands you lemons, add ice, vodka, sugar water and shake vigorously.

Thank you Ty and Brendon!

Wow Christopher, three Odins? Im jealous, but of course im already planning my next Odinblade!!! I cant shake the two hander bug, I really like John's last scottish claymore he did with the clamshell guard....very tempting. But I would really like to get a Katzbalger to match for my Landsknecht kit.

Jordan, this is Cheryl, Jerry Rados's girlfriend. I have been waiting to see how the masterpiece came out and all I can say is "OH MY GOD"!!!!! It's gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the pics with us. You will never know the hours we spent just getting the lugs the way they needed to be. At one time there was 5 of us working with a large swage block to get the lugs in shape. Congratulations on a great piece !!!!

Cheryl, your a special woman to pound away on a chunk of steel with Jerry!

The blade is awsome, you guys did such an amazing job. I really couldn't be any happier. I promise to have better pictures up and show the edges better. The layers are so tight along the edge, they didn't show up well in the photos I linked.

I thank you, Jerry and the other 3 people involved in getting that blade out.

just beautiful! i cant beleive how amazing it is! Sure did take him long enough! haha i can remember back when he had the overall rough shape forged out. just wonderful to see it finished
    Go ahead, mock me! But it wasnt he who was laughing at me... it was GOD!!! *Dies Irae!*

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Borland View Post
    just beautiful! i cant beleive how amazing it is! Sure did take him long enough! haha i can remember back when he had the overall rough shape forged out. just wonderful to see it finished
    Thanks Seth, it did take a while. But man was it worth the wait! I knew John was good, but this sword blows my mind.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everybody and thanks especially to Jordan, it was a pleasure. Sorry this project is over as we really had fun going back and forth and keeping in constant communication. I originally thought the size was crazy, but found the size of historical precident and if Jerry can make the blade stock then I can most certainly make the sword from it. Easier said than done of course. Grinding the shape and edge bevels and shaping the lugs and fullers was all done by hand, holding the sword up to my horizontal grinder for several days, could use the workout so no complaints. Did the ringguard from 5160H which had gotten so hard from forging that I couldn't do much file work on it, but it sure has a nice ringing sound. The other hilt parts are from 1018. The scabbard is from good grain poplar not birch but close Jordan. The grip is wood with fine cor5d and thin leather wrap, the cord was a bear. The heat treat I did was done right here in my shop, coulda used some help there but apprentices are hard to come by, so just grin and bare it We were going to use the damascus fittings but Jerry's barn blew down so we went with mono after waiting and waiting. His shop is still has no roof, but on sunny days he can start a jian blade for me hopefully soon. The mostly W2 with 203E steels Jerry uses is what he has always done for me and he uses that combo for all his pattern welded steels including his famouse turkish twist, like on the "Viper".
    Jordan those pictures you took are really nice and laid out right. Can't wait to see the pro ones,, thanks so much for doing it! Kinda sad that it is finally over. We talked back and forth about how this piece should be in a magazine, that would be great and someday maybe even in a museum, haha!
    "Ah, the old disco room.......just as I left it!" Cassanova Frankenstein

"It's all about having a good time!" Ricky Martin

"We are number one....all others are number two or lower!" The Sphinx

"Let me put my poems in you!" Chazz Micheal Micheals

www.odinblades.com

Thanks John, it was a pleasure! I to am sad its all over, it has been nice to have this project to think about and chat with you about. I guess ill just have to start another one!

Now that im back in town ill get to work on those better pics of the sword!

I'm not that much into European swords, but it's hard not to admire that sort of workmanship.

Amazing sword, you're a lucky guy to have it.
    Chibi Ken-shi

Race Sims
    Mclaren F1 `05 "Burn my Shadow"

Ford RS200 backwards at the Ring
    CTDP F1 2006 Renault At Nurburgring
    Understeer is when you hit the guardrail with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the guardrail with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the guardrail. Torque is how far you move the guardrail.

Out of this world! This is a masterpiece John. Huge piece of damascus. I love it. You are motivating us all to get out there and try bigger and better things! You carve metal in such a way I dont think its fair to call it grinding.
    "If you can draw it, we can make it".
    "ART SHOULD HURT"

Matt Stagmer - Sword Maker @ BKS

www.Baltimoreknife.com
    www.Facebook.com/Baltimoreknife

Gotta agree with Matt,
    Awsome sword,
    Again

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Loatman View Post
    I'm not that much into European swords, but it's hard not to admire that sort of workmanship.

Amazing sword, you're a lucky guy to have it.
    Thank you Paul!

Matt, I hope to see some big beauties coming from you soon then!

I can tell you from first hand experience that a Lundemo piece using Jerry Rados steel is really something extra special. Congrats on an awesome sword!

Wow thats really nice. The workmanship is fantastic!
    However just going from the historical examples I have seen. The blade should not taper like that, the examples I have seen all actually widen near the tip.

Here is a shot of one at the leeds armoury.

Quote Originally Posted by william.m View Post
    Wow thats really nice. The workmanship is fantastic!
    However just going from the historical examples I have seen. The blade should not taper like that, the examples I have seen all actually widen near the tip.

Here is a shot of one at the leeds armoury.
    That's kind of weird, widening the tip could only have helped if the guy using it wanted it to act and feel more like an axe. Unless it gets much thinner to compensate for the widening from edge to edge.
    Chibi Ken-shi

Race Sims
    Mclaren F1 `05 "Burn my Shadow"

Ford RS200 backwards at the Ring
    CTDP F1 2006 Renault At Nurburgring
    Understeer is when you hit the guardrail with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the guardrail with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the guardrail. Torque is how far you move the guardrail.

Well I always thought that they were never going to be nimble weapons. Used for smashing apart pike formations, so I suppose having a forward pob would be useful.
    Here is another shot of mine in a French castle some years back.

[QUOTE=william.m;1084606]Wow thats really nice. The workmanship is fantastic!

I looked at alot of Zweihanders and saw examples of widening tips, blades with little or no taper, and then blades that did taper towards the tip. For aesthetic purposes I wanted it to taper, but still retain a strong blade presence towards the tip. There do seem to be more examples with wider or no taper tips, but I wanted it to! I do have reference photos I can link if needed of tapered blades. Even a quick search through myarmoury's photo albums brings up a few tapered/slender bladed zweihanders.

Hi Jordan, I hope you don't see my comments as an attack on your personal taste! A custom job is whatever you want it to be, and you have a fine looking sword.

Enjoy it

Hi Jordan, I hope you don't see my comments as an attack on your personal taste! A custom job is whatever you want it to be, and you have a fine looking sword.

Enjoy it
    Not at all William!

Blog Entries

Enjoy it
    Thanks for the imput. I do like the flaired out tip design, though looks shorter. Does have a real historical look. Is it only the french designs that have that feel to em? I'ld like to make more historical zweihander types but rarely get the chance. The design chosen by Jordan was also cool but not the only design I can make
    "Ah, the old disco room.......just as I left it!" Cassanova Frankenstein

"It's all about having a good time!" Ricky Martin

"We are number one....all others are number two or lower!" The Sphinx

"Let me put my poems in you!" Chazz Micheal Micheals

www.odinblades.com