Thread: Brass/Copper Mekugi?

Brass/Copper Mekugi?

Anyone have a prefrence for the brass or copper mekugi on the Cheness Kaze over the traditional bamboo one? Personaly, I find I prefer the bamboo ones, thinking of replacing mine. Is Lohman the best place to order the bamboo for that? Any advice is apreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Lones View Post
    Anyone have a prefrence for the brass or copper mekugi on the Cheness Kaze over the traditional bamboo one? Personaly, I find I prefer the bamboo ones, thinking of replacing mine. Is Lohman the best place to order the bamboo for that? Any advice is apreciated.
    I prefer Bamboo, I did not like the ones I got from Lohman (out of business??) so I make my own from bamboo take from Japan, there should be material available local.
    More Sweat In Training Less Blood In Combat
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud B View Post
    I prefer Bamboo, I did not like the ones I got from Lohman (out of business??) so I make my own from bamboo take from Japan, there should be material available local.
    Has Mr. Lohman gone out of business? That would be a pity, he had some awesome products from what I have seen.

Nope... Fred is still in business. You may be thing of Shadow of Leaves which is closing its doors(total bummer)... Michael didn't (doesn't) sell mekugi...but had a link for James Leach who does.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronThomas View Post
    Nope... Fred is still in business. You may be thing of Shadow of Leaves which is closing its doors(total bummer)... Michael didn't (doesn't) sell mekugi...but had a link for James Leach who does.
    oops yes, my bad mixed them up...
    More Sweat In Training Less Blood In Combat
    My Site

So, does anyone know why Cheness went with a copper or brass mekugi instead of the traditional bamboo? Are the metal ones more durable and if so why the swordsmiths of old did not think of this? Or are there historical evidence of this type or similar type mekugi being used at any other period? Hope someone knows a little about this. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by A. Lones View Post
    So, does anyone know why Cheness went with a copper or brass mekugi instead of the traditional bamboo? Are the metal ones more durable and if so why the swordsmiths of old did not think of this? Or are there historical evidence of this type or similar type mekugi being used at any other period? Hope someone knows a little about this. Cheers
    They had major issues with their tsuka back in 2005-2006 and probably thought that if they insert a mekugi that won't snap under any kind of pressure then they're off the hook.. I'm not being very nice here but I can't really think of any other reason. *shrug*

BTW, if this is the reasoning they used, they're wrong.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!