Thread: Central Asia smithing

Central Asia smithing

Not sure if it belongs to here, so Mods feel free to eventually move it.

Hi all.

I would like to have feedbacks about the smithing process in central Asia, Balhae and Manchuria or any other region of central/east Asia.

I've found the description of how japanese warabiteto were smithed and hardened and I'm trying to figure out if there is any similarity in tecnicques possibly entered in Japan thru "the Northern Route".

Warabiteto of northern Honshu were smithed this way :

Soft steel (around 3% Carbon content) and the blade repeatedly and completely buried in hot ashes (?) at quiet low tempreatures, then cooled in water. No insulating meaning to obtain differential hardening.

Rings any bell to you ?

So many thanks in advance.
    Please forgive my english.

Wootz was a central asia item too but doesn not seem to have spread too far.
    Thomas Powers
    CoFounder of the Intergalactic Union of Bladesmiths
    "when you forge upon a star"---you better have your union card handy!

I think you can have more answers if you open this thread in the MEİA subforum. Central Asia has historically closer links to Western Asia through religion, culture, ethicity, language and trade.
    "The relationship between West(Occident) and East(Orient) is indeed an example of a relationship of power and domination. Orientalism is thus a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the Orient and the Occident. It is a Western style of dominating, restructuring and building hegemony over the Orient.İt is an accepted grid for filtering through the Orient into Western consciousness, into the general culture."
    From "Orientalism" by Edward Said

Thanks. I think I'll try again in the MEIA.
    Please forgive my english.