Thread: Aoi Budogu anyone?

Aoi Budogu anyone?

Has anyone done any business with a iaito company called Aoi Budogu? Just curious what their reputation is for getting the product to the customer in a timely manor... Web Site says 8 to 12 weeks, I ordered a select class iaito at the first of August and was initially told 8 to 12 weeks, then later I was told they are running a bit behind, which is fine. Now I asked this week and was told they have just recieved a shipment of orders in from last March which they are working to get out to customers... I wasn't terribly good at math in school but am inclided to guess that over 7 months is a lot longer than 8 to 12 weeks, even with a little delay. Just would like some feedback here as to what one might reasonably expect in a iaito order?
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

Oh dear....I just placed an order for two custom iaitos in the first week of October. I'm not in much of a rush to receive them, but I hope they stick to their schedule, which means I should recieve my goods by end the of Jan 2010 latest. We'll see, I'll probably email them at the end of this month and check on the progress of my goods.

No Worries, I think

I just had word back from Ryoma, at Aoi Budogu, and it seems that one of the swordsmiths they use for production in Japan is running behind but that he is working to ensure iaito are recieved in a reasonable time. If that is the case, that a swordsmith in Japan is behind, then it will likely be a problem for many companies and not just A/B as they all seem to rely on the same set of forges in Japan for their work.
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

To be frank, I would think quite a few of the swordsmiths are backlogged in their orders because they supply iaitos to many international companies as well as to their own local companies.

Aoi has had this delay problem in the past many times before actually (search online for reviews), I was aware of it before I placed my order. However, I really want a solid product of master craftsmanship quality, and judging from reviews, Aoi delivers.

I still find it strange that other sword reseller companies still state 4-6weeks crafting time on their websites for their Japan-crafted pieces. Hmm...not really sure if they're using the same swordsmith.

From Kendo-world.com

I came across this post and figured I should sign up for the forum and post some information about AOI Budogu and their iaito's from Kendo-World.com forum.

I have purchased my bogu (Kendo armour) from AOI and it was at my door in two days. I have also purchased uniforms from them and my Kendo club has purchased uniforms from them, as well and everything is top notch and very quick delivery - on what is in stock.

However, it seems things can be different for a custom ordered iaito, as this thread shows.

Iaito on the way

I have since changed my iaito order from a Select Iaito to an Instock Iaito. I have the tracking number and all and it is on it's way to the island as I write this so I am quite excited! I will write to let my friends here at SFI know how it looks and handles. Cheers Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Myers View Post
    I came across this post and figured I should sign up for the forum and post some information about AOI Budogu and their iaito's from Kendo-World.com forum.

I have purchased my bogu (Kendo armour) from AOI and it was at my door in two days. I have also purchased uniforms from them and my Kendo club has purchased uniforms from them, as well and everything is top notch and very quick delivery - on what is in stock.

However, it seems things can be different for a custom ordered iaito, as this thread shows.
    Hi Myers! Yea, I read that post before too XD. I pretty much did all my reading up on Aoi Budogu before I went ahead with my purchase, so in short, I am kinda prepared to wait, but hopefully it doesn't cross 6 months.

This delay problem is indeed pretty much limited to only their custom iaitos range. Other stuff seem to be delivered on time and in good quality (judging from the other posts on the net).

PS: Lones! Hehe, thats great news! Do share your thoughts on it when it arrives and perhaps a few pictures too XD! All the best!