Thread: Identification -very old odd sword

Identification -very old odd sword

Hello,

I have an odd swords that I'm curious about
    Seems to be several metal layers folded togeter
    Straight blade triangular but ever so slightly convex profile with a blood groove on each side
    Blade is 70cm long (27.5inch)
    Been in the family for close to 100 years.
    Some images:
    [/IMG]

REally curious about its orgin and use.

Kind regards

Per Viklund

Kampilan-like

I am no expert on any type of blade, but your sword looks quite a bit like a Moro Kampilan. If you Google Kampilan, you can see many similar swords. Yours is different in two ways. Usually the grip/ pommel is a a open mouthed creature. Second Kampilan often have a distinctive hook near the tip of the blade which sometimes breaks off. Hope this helps.

Greg

Hi,

This is definately a moro kampilan (Philippines).
    The handles of kampilans are in several shapes and the blades also (with or without spikelet at the tip).
    I think you have a rare type of kampilan here (concerning the handle and the tip of the blade).

Regards,
    Maurice
    Last edited by Maurice B.; 11-07-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks for your quick replies. Very helpful!

Did a search and found a lot of info

I'm not a collector so if its rare, maybe I should offer it for sale so some one more serious about it can enjoy it.

/Per

Hi,

I am interested.
    My email is: mbloebaum@gmail.com

regards,
    Maurice

I would be interested in the sword.

mandawe@hotmail.com

u have an email

I looks to be a kampilan sure.. but this is a very special one I think. Look at the pommel.. different than most... It has the shape of an Iranun/Ilanun kind bu tthe eye of a Mindanaoan. The tip is also different. This is very special. Timorese? Iranun? Maguindanaoan? I don't know. But this is not common.

Nice very unusualy kampilan; I hope you are well compensated.
    You asked about use.
    Kampilan is a slashing sword with a thin tip to reduce drag, and a wide tip to reduce vibration.
    It is traditionally used in battle, but is relatively rare and appears to be an upper class sword. It is used for execution of legal amputations including beheadings.
    Its sheath is interesting, having an open front edge that pinches shut, but the blade can strike right through.

Quote Originally Posted by tom hyle View Post
    Nice very unusualy kampilan; I hope you are well compensated.
    You asked about use.
    Kampilan is a slashing sword with a thin tip to reduce drag, and a wide tip to reduce vibration.
    It is traditionally used in battle, but is relatively rare and appears to be an upper class sword. It is used for execution of legal amputations including beheadings.
    Its sheath is interesting, having an open front edge that pinches shut, but the blade can strike right through.
    Contrast other Moro swords; the kris is thick throughout with little taper; it absorbs impact/vibration through mass, thru thickness, like a katana, rather than thru width. The kris is hardened for the tipward 2/3 of its blade.
    The ordinary barong has a thick spine that tapers over its great width to a fine slashing edge. The shandigan barong has a thickened reinforced edge.
    The (Moro)parang nabur has a humped cross-section for strength, especially at the edge. Like barong it has a hard edge and soft spine (the hardening line is usually straight, and as with kukuri, often does not include the tip) My pira is light but with a slightly humped cross-section. With any luck I'll be able to say something about a single bangkung mail-soon.