Thread: 5160 Ultraflex Bainite Custom Katana

Arrow 5160 Ultraflex Bainite Custom Katana

Anyone ever seen this? Looks like one hell of a sword. Developed by a group named Ars Cives. Too bad its only one of a kind

http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/ul...inite4sale.htm

antonio cejunior (the man who designed that katana) ued to post on here a lot. he's one of the really knowledgeable people whose posting presence sfi lost a few years back.

joe walters (the smith) used to be an up-and-coming smith with a pretty solid following. i have no clue what he's up to these days but it seems every few years something new pops up from him. i remember when joe first announced the 5160 blades, and i remember when dojo swords was announced. it just didn't quite take off, unfortunately. i'm not gonna lie, though, i'm not too fond of the mount.
    les yeich (pronounced yike)

helden wie wir sterben doch allein,
    einsam unerreicht werden wir sein.
    - the "great" jasmin wagner

I think that a change to a somewhat larger Tsuba would make a big difference to the appeal of this blade. Something hexagonal-ish would complement the kashira and offer better hand protection and visual balance.

I wonder if they meant a martensite edge rather than a bainite edge. Seems to me that bainite wouldn't be as hard as martensite, but harder than pearlite.

It is a nice clean design, I'd just like a bigger tsuba....I also favor a shorter tsuka, but since I can't even begin to afford such a thing, it's all just academic to me.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    "Not to us Lord, Not to us, but to Thy Name be the Glory"

Adsum, Domine: Totus ingenibus meis ad pedes tuos proponeo.
    Duce et regere servum tui, Domine, ab omnibus temptationem, ita ut honor purus et donum meum incontaminatus sit.
    "Here am I, Lord: All my talents at Thy feet I lay. Guide and guard Thy servant, Lord, from all temptation, that honor may be spotless and my gift unstained."
    - Katherine Kurtz "Healer's Song"