Thread: Another Sword Identification

Another Sword Identification

Hi all. I'm so glad I found this forum. My sister bought me a sword for a present when she was in China several years ago and I've been wanting for a long time to figure out what kind of sword it is. I gather from most of the responses to other inquiries that I've read that many swords are recent replicas, etc. so I am kinda expecting that will be true for me also. However, I thought I'd throw up a couple of pictures and see if people can help me figure out style and age for this thing.

This sword (as hopefully the pictures will illustrate) is quite long - almost 4 ft. The hilt doesn't appear to be able to easily accommodate two hands however.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

We are going to need much better pictures if you want any chance of a decent ID. As you say, many of this type are recent copies. However, the length intrigues me. It is rare for either antiques or copies to be that long. There is a possibility you have something interesting. I don't know much about that style of ~1930s-1940s military swords, but I can usually spot the fakes.

Josh

Fair enough

I can take some more detailed shots. Thanks for the advice!

More Pictures

Hey all - here are more, and more detailed pictures of the sword. The length of the blade is just shy of 3 ft (35 inches), and the overall length is just over 43".

Any ideas on origin or style are appreciated!

And a few more pictures...

It is definitely not the quality one would expect from an authentic military sword. It is difficult to say when it was made, but with antiques the quality is generaly higher. Notice the sub-par decorative work on the brass fittings, and the way everything has gaps where it fits together.
    Josh

I did notice the gaps here and there. The strange thing is that I want to say the gaps were less pronounced when I first got the sword. But that may be my imagination playing tricks on me.

There was an unfortunate incident in which friends of mine (while I was not present) took this and a cheap replica katana I own out into the back yard and play-fought with the two swords. I think this knocked things around some.

The interesting thing about this incident is that the katana's blade got pretty messed up, while this sword has hardly a scratch on it.

The section of the scabbard where the second ring is has become detached and slides up and down the scabbard. When the sword was bought this was attached, but but the time it got to the US a small sliver had come off and this section now has a long thin strip missing (parallel with the blade).

what about ideas on style? Is this a certain type of sword that is identifiable?

Thank you!

It is in the style of the military swords of the Republican era, but it is quite different from other examples. The guard and long curved blade appear to be artistic interpretations of 13c Mongol swords. As mentioned, it was almost definitely made for show (tourist). Still the blade is possibly hand forged, though not of good quality. It can be fun to look for "pattern welding" where bits of junk were welded together.
    Josh