Thread: FS rare variant 1779 Brown Bess Bayonet

FS rare variant 1779 Brown Bess Bayonet

This is a bayonet for a British Brown Bess musket. It is marked Twigg 1779, has an engraving on the socket of a heart-shaped crest with number 4 over it, letters V E I C inside, separated by crossed swords. As I understand it, there are very few of these that have detentes. This one does. Much nicer than the examples I have been able to see. Has what looks like the name Dawes in very neat, small punched letters on the blade near the base.
    Very good condition, IMO. intact, clean lines, no major rust. This has been a family piece, not traded. I purchased from the owner as a favor, am now listing it here. Asking $450, includes shipping within continental US, payable via paypal. Please feel free to PM me or email drawdyd @ hotmail.com (no spaces) with questions. Pics up shortly.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

from a collector

...The bayonet you describe is 100% without any doubt a British East India Company M1771 for the Windus Musket.

It is thought a few of these did make it into the hands of the American forces during the Rev Wars as war aid from the French who captured them on EIC ships, however this has not been definitively proved as far as I'm aware.

The heart/letter symbols is the East India Company Ownership mark, Twigg would be the supplier of the finished arms, the musket would also be marked Twigg. The bayonet was fitted to a musket in the shipping season of 1779 (so between 1779 and 1780).

The name on the bayonet blade "Dawes" is the original maker of the bayonet. ...
    this belonged to a family that was in upper NY during the Revolutionary War. pics soon, honest.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy

hey dave, I might have an answer for you in 30 minutes
    heh
    not for me a friend has a Brown Bess and needs a bayonet for it

pics

pics. overall color is darker than the pics show. can't get a good shot, but there is a roman numeral 12 (XII) scratched or cut into the bottom ring. blade is 13 inches, overall length is 17 inches.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Dave Drawdy; 12-17-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Dave Drawdy

That's marked to the East India company. I haven't seen one with the locking mechanism before.

from my limited research, a few batches were made with the retaining clip, but they did not go into full production. The examples I've been able to find pictures of had them mounted from the opposite side, down towards the ring, rather than like this.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy

ok, $400, will consider trades.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy

this one is still available. Went to Colonial Williamsburg recently, they have a nice display of arms from this period, lots of detail, cross sections, exposed mechanisms, history blurbs. Good stuff. One article said the French captured a Brit East India Co weapon production site, sold the weapons to the US. Still have not seen any other examples of this detent.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Drawdy; 06-11-2010 at 12:00 PM.
    Dave Drawdy