Thread: Irish stick, An Maide Bata

Irish stick, An Maide Bata

Not much in terms of quality (first online video ever) but still interesting for those who wondered what our style looked like: http://www.youtube.com/user/maxshink.../0/868X1FMQRu8

I love the Irish martial culture

Please post more videos soon. Check out some of mine.

Bryan A Hunt

Don't worry I will, and with much more quality next time.

Jeez, I'd *Love* to be able to learn this.

So, for the completely uninitiated, what are some of the primary characteristics of Irish stickfighting, and/or, what seperates it from it's contemporaries?
    Greg

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Glad Grammer is no indikashiun of fighting skillz.

You can check out the article I wrote on this style here: http://www.freifechter.com/files/stick_edited.pdf

Its hard to characterize Irish stick as a whole, as there are many different styles (Today only two traditionnal ones). Check this one from the Doyle family: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xETFsyQuIxE

As to how it differs from its contemporaries, I'm not sure what were all of its contemporaries . The style bears close ressemblance to 16th-17th Venetian stick fighting and also the French Joinville method to some extent. So either 1)the Irish developped an original style and it coincidentally looked like other european styles, or it spread to other countries.
    2) Or that they conserved an older style of stick fighting,
    3)or it is a continental style which they adopted and changed to their liking.

I would say the second is the most probable, as the Irish were known to keep old ways while the rest of Europe changed (ex: bagpipes, arms and armors, etc). A 12th century writer decribed how they used their axes, and it seems it was much the same as what we do, they supposedly inherited it from the Vikings.

If we look at how it differs from french canne, the grip is of course different. It gives less reach, but much more speed and requires less arming. SO hits and paries are given in a bouncing motion. The lower end can also be used more proactively for parrying or striking. Footwork is very different, more akin to longsword with a touch of wing chun (its very particular) than classical fencing. You also have lots of single time strike, where French canne is only parry-riposte. The two handed grip is mostly like the French baton de Joinville, or a bit like bastone Siciliano. Both hands near the lower end, both thumbs up. It doesn't show much in the video but in this grip moulinets are used much more to capitalize on superior power and reach.
    Last edited by Max C.; 12-30-2009 at 06:45 PM.

Another kind of Irish stick,iománíocht: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7gZDSzSmKg

The trick is not to get hit,you train for that as well.
    Last edited by niall dignan; 12-30-2009 at 02:47 PM.
    Niall Dignan

Hi Max,

What sources are you using for your reconstruction?

Paul

Thanks for the info! It gives me something to chew on, as I just got a polymer blackthorn for Christmas and have been wondering how it was traditionally meant to be used. I remember hearing from a number of sources about how much the Irish stick was feared, and this gives me some real clue as to why.
    Last edited by GregS; 01-01-2010 at 05:54 AM.
    Greg

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Glad Grammer is no indikashiun of fighting skillz.

Hi Max,

What sources are you using for your reconstruction?
    Hi Paul, this isn't a reconstruction, its a living style I learned wile in Ireland (see the article).