Thread: Alexander Coppel

Alexander Coppel

I am not familiar with antique edged weapons and I am requesting any information you might have. I possess an Alexander Coppel sword. On one side is a mark ALEX. COPPEL arced over a balance beam with a bowl suspended at each end. SOLINGEN is inscribed concave below the balance beam. The letter AG are inscribed on the opposite side. I assume this last is an inspection identifier. The guard is a plain affair of stamped metal with a small curl of steel on top that is in line with the blade obviously meant as a stop for an attackers blade. It is quite battered and was bent either during carry or by a blow to one side. The blade of the sword was broken at the tip and reground to a point. Several places in the blade show contact with a sharp object. The handle is of pressed leather(?) pinned in five places. The owner must have been left handed because of the wear on the handle indicates that the thumb rested on the broad side of the guard. The only checkering remaining on the handle is behind his thumb print. At the rear of one side of the handle, the leather broke at the pins. This appears to be quite an old brake. The scabbard is all steel with a single ring The funnel like entry is screwed to the sccabbard at the side. The scabbard itself is some what battered. It was purchased in Marietta, Georgia in 1962. The area was the scene of much fighting during the Civil War and most of the town itself was burned in 1864. I showed it to a local dealer with extensive Knowledge of Civil War armaments. He said that he had never seen one exactly like it. To him it appeared like a number of English weapons that he had seen and was surprised at the German markings.He also noted that it seemed to incorporate features from several different sword styles. He found that this man supposedly built no swords before 1871, but without declaring it Confederate stated that he thought that it preceded the date indicated in his reference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks James Roberts

Sounds like a british cavalry saber.Any holes or cutouts in the metal guard? A photo would be useful.
    Niall Dignan

Alex. Coppel

There are holes in the scabbard. Also, I had trouble drawing the weapon until I discovered that someone had placed a thin shim of rough pine in the scabbard which I assume was meant to keep it from bouncing out while in the saddle. I moved 13 days ago and I am still hunting for my camera; among other things. When it turns up or I borrow another, I will submit a photo. Thanks James

Quote Originally Posted by niall dignan View Post
    Sounds like a british cavalry saber.Any holes or cutouts in the metal guard? A photo would be useful.
    There is a slot in the bottom rear of the guard approximately one inch long and one quarter inch wide.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morris Roberts View Post
    Also, I had trouble drawing the weapon until I discovered that someone had placed a thin shim of rough pine in the scabbard which I assume was meant to keep it from bouncing out while in the saddle.
    Hi James,

Don't throw that piece of pine away! It could well be original, and even if it's damaged with age you might still need it to use as a template for a new scabbard liner. This is a fairly simple restoration job which can greatly improve the smooth drawing and replacing of a sword in its scabbard.

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".