Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swords for Our Canadian Members to Look Out For!

Robert,

I didn't recognize the double triangle mark was the Wilkinson sword Proof mark. My spouse, an intellectual property lawyer, will find the story of a relatively early IP conflict in the manufacturing of blades interesting. No offense intended.

Victoria

Robert,

Ross McKenzie (RMC museum curator) says `Hi. Thanks for passing on this interesting information. I will have to do some cross checking- i.e. verify the wording on the prize swords we have in the collection and check the Reviews for the listings of prizes presented. While the terms ' drills & exercises" and "conduct & discipline" sound familiar, those other categories: "physical training", "training for war" and 'prize for military history" don't ring any bells at all. (Maybe there is a whole parallel universe of prize swords of which I know not!) `

Victoria Edwards

Lightbulb (Moedrn) Canadian Swords to Watch out for

I`m curious how you can tell the difference between an old Canadian sword, and one sold today through the kitshop. According to the RMC kitshop, all swords are crafted by WKC of Solingen, Germany to British MOD specifications usings tools and dies of the former Wilkinson Swords Ltd of Engliand. The baskets are nickle or gold plated.

* Canadian cavalry officer`s sword
    * Canadian artillery officer`s sword
    * Royal Canadian Air Force officer`s sword
    * Royal Canadian Navy officer`s sword
    * Canadian infantry officer`s sword
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Differences are relatively easy to spot by collectors. Current MOD specs are not the same as in the past. Nickel plating was used, now it is chrome or similar metal. The shape of the guards in modern swords do not have the gentle curves, the details are simpler, the blades do not meet MOD specs for combat of the past. Etching detail is not the quality of older swords. Cost cutting has greatly reduced the quality of modern swords for military use. Other unseen details of old swords will not be found in modern swords. They just have permanent shine and are not expected to perform in combat.
    I believe that WKC only purchased part of Wilkinsons equipment, but it is the skill of a Wilkinson bladesmith and hilters that produces a fine sword, not the machinery by itself.

I agree with Will's comments - it is the craftsman and not the machine that makes a great sword.
    Machines help speed the process but it is all in the hand finish.
    No advertising I hope but our two main sword men at Pooley are ex Wilkinson men as is our leather scabbard maker.

Hello, I'm new here and please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong spot. I don't post to forums at all usually. But I joined this one as I have had a sword passed down to me by my father that has been in the family for some time and have some questions. I believe it is one on your list. The etching says Winnipeg Rifles, there is a bugle, a beaver and I believe to be initials. From what I gather from other posts I looked through while I waited for my account to be validated, what I thought to be the Star of David is actually a Wilkinson mark? Am I correct in that? I am attaching some pictures for you. I'd love to know exactly what year it is from and est value as I'm not sure whether to lock it up to pass down to my son or have it out on display.

Name:  IMAG0654.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  96.8 KB
    Name:  IMAG0655.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  99.8 KB
    Name:  IMAG0656.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  96.6 KB
    Name:  IMAG0657.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  96.6 KB
    Name:  IMAG0659.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  98.7 KB

Good morning and Happy New Year. Interesting sword you have, and like most early Canadian swords, not that many in circulation. I would say your sword dates to about 1890-1900, given the Queen Victoria cypher (VR) on the blade, and the 90th (XC) Winnipeg Rifles designation. Given the initials on the blade, and relative small size of the regiment, I suspect you can easily find the name of the officer who owned it. The Regiment maintains a great website, and writing them might reward you with the owner's name, which will allow you to discover his military career details.

Value is a subjective thing, and Forum rules do not allow us to discuss it openly here, however the officer association can great affect value should you choose to sell. If the sword has a family connection than absolutely keep it, otherwise there are Canadian collectors here that would be proud to own it.

The Star of David mark did start out as a Wilkinson proof mark, but later was adopted by virtually all makers as a sign of quality. Usually the opposite side of the blade bears the maker or tailor name who supplied it.

Warmest regards,

Rob
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

Hello Mr. Miller. Have sent a message to you about sword details. Best Regards, Terry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12