Thread: Nakamura Ryu Battodo Study Group in Sydney

Nakamura Ryu Battodo Study Group in Sydney

Hi,

I'd like to announce a new Nakamura Ryu Battodo Study Group in Sydney, Australia

Currently I'm a member of the IBF and my Home dojo is Gordon Armstrong's up in Townsville:

http://zgbk.com.au/battodo.htm

I've recently returned from a trip to Japan where I trained with Ishikawa sensei and Tzudzuki sensei in Handa City. I also attended the Nakamura Ryu tai kai where I was lucky enough to meet up with fellow students from around the globe.

At present, in between trips to Townsville, I am training here in North Sydney:

http://www.pcycnsw.org/northsydney

If you are interested in coming along for a chat or want to train in Nakamura Ryu, email me and I'll arrange to meet you in the reception area:

sydneybattodo@gmail.com
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

Hi Mat

Good to see - even if its yet another north shore thing.... why does almost no-one do JSA south of the harbour.

I've done some iai and kenjutsu training there at the PCYC a couple of years ago - as I recall the floor was not bad and the management were not horrified by armed thugs.....

Aden

Hi Aden - good to see you.

I must admit it's handy for me workwise!

It is a good place to practice - My first JSA Seminar was there with with Shimazu Kenji Sensei back in 2003. I met him again at the Nakamura Ryu Tai kai in November. He remembered me (Must be the ponytail!).

I'd come south of the river (I'm in Ryde) - it's just a matter of finding venues that are JSA friendly.
    Last edited by Mat Rous; 01-14-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Just for info (he's much too shy and retiring to say himself) Mat kicked butt at the tai kai in Yokohama in November. Took second in the finals for nidan and below kata, very tough competition, not an easy thing. Point is, he is doing good stuff, recognized by our seniors. The IBF is the International Batto-Do Federation, organization led by Nakamura-sensei's honbu dojo, the Kakuseikai. If you're in the area, definitely worth checking out.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Drawdy; 01-14-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

Hi,

I have finally gotten organised and created a webpage for my Dojo in Sydney:

http://kuroyamadojo.com.au/

I will be updating the News Page with photos from our recent visit to Tsurumi for the annual IBF Nakamura Ryu Taikai.

It was great catching up with our seniors, training hard and seeing how far we have spread with new Dojos in South Africa!

As per the dojo website, I'm currently training on Monday nights with a view to training on Saturdays in the new year.

Feel free to contact me via the Directions page on the website.

Due to space constraints at my primary Dojo space, I have secured a second site for training.

It's in Annandale, so much closer to the CBD and Transport.

I will have slots for new students who wish to train from Mid-June onwards.

Opportunities for training in Japan and competing at annual Taikai come with the training and we have a Hachidan visit us each year from Japan to advise and correct us on our training.

If you're interested in training, PM, visit the website above or email me on:

Sydneybattodo@gmail.com

Mat