Thread: Viking sword Re-build: Mark II

Cool Viking sword Re-build: Mark II

Some may (or may not) recall a string of rebuilds done on those cheap Indian viking swords, beginning about 7 years ago. My own was a conversion including the widening of the fuller and addition of a downswept x-guard and brazil-nut pommel (http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=4857). Well the pommel always dug into my wrist uncomfortably, and I eventually broke the pommel off at a weak point in the tang threads, so I decided to re-visit this rebuild and try to improve things a little bit.

The result is a wheel-pommel sword, with a bit longer handle (re-welded a piece of steel to the tang and normalized as best I could), and the application of a new leather wrap following a tutorial from Peter Johnsson.

Let me know what you think. Still in the works, a period scabbard with integral belt (another Peter Johnsson tutorial).

Specs are (if memory serves):

OAL: 28"
    POB: 4.25 "
    COP: 17.25" from x-guard
    approximate wt: 2.5 lbs ...measured on a balance with 2.5 lbs of hammer ;-(

She's not as pretty as I'd like, but she's been a great blade to practice my hilt-making skills out on. I also re-profiled the blade a bit and she's now scary-sharp.

Any comments welcome.

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Dontopedology is the Science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it. I've been practicing it for years."
    -- Prince Philip

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
    -- Red Green

Unhappy

Sorry OAL is 36" BLADE Length is 28 1/4"
    "Dontopedology is the Science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it. I've been practicing it for years."
    -- Prince Philip

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
    -- Red Green