Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRL European Sword

Thumbs up MRL European Sword

Just got this in last Friday, couldn't be more pleased. Either windlass has improved greatly, or this one got checked at the quality control center.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stephen Fisher
    Istruttore Nazionale di Scherma
    Academia Nazionale di Scherma (ITA)
    Prévôt d'Escrime, USFCA/AAI

pic 1
    Stephen Fisher

pic 2
    Stephen Fisher

pic 3
    Stephen Fisher

pic 4
    Stephen Fisher

Wow. Looks really nice. Well I will have to try them out someday soon then.

Oh man! It doesn't even have the secondary bevels. What a bargain!

Talking mrl

Two good reviews in a week, am I in the rigth place? Seriously I'm just glad some others are having good luck with MRL. I was begining to think I was some kind of freak.

That sword looks good for $175, surprisingly good. Let us know if the heat treating and performance is up to par if you get the chance. MRL would have a nice place in the low end user market if they all came out looking that way.

-Sean
    "Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarter!" - Edward Teach

When I got I flexed the blade out 5 inches and came back without problem. The fittings are all secured tightly. The blade did well when cutting up the box at an angle. The sword is well balanced (p.o.b. - approx 5" from guard). Overall I am pleased with it's quality for $175 with MRL's given reputation.
    Stephen Fisher

Big Box Cutter

My MRL Irish sword got a lot of nasty scratches on the blade from cutting up the cardboard box it came in. Did your European get scratched at all?

Maybe my Irish sword is REALLY cheap steel, or maybe I didn't get all the lacquer that they put on to ship it off--that may explain the scratches.

Well, it's certainly shiny!

Looks nice.
    You probably got a deal on that one.
    The battlefield is the place:
    where one toasts the divine liquor in war,
    where are stained red the divine eagles,
    where the jaguars howl . . . .

Re: Big Box Cutter

Many types of cardboard are made from recycled materials and may contain elements such as glass, bits of metal, and other abrasive things. Cardboard can be quite destructive to the finish of a sword.. it all depends on the piece being cut. Your mileage may vary.

Originally posted by Geoff Freeman
    My MRL Irish sword got a lot of nasty scratches on the blade from cutting up the cardboard box it came in. Did your European get scratched at all?

Maybe my Irish sword is REALLY cheap steel, or maybe I didn't get all the lacquer that they put on to ship it off--that may explain the scratches.

Re: Big Box Cutter

Originally posted by Geoff Freeman

Could be the lacquer. I picked up an MRL "Black Prince" last year and I finally had to resort to sandpaper to get the lacquer completely off. Brought it back up to a polish and it's fine now. I'll actually post a review some day!

Mike

Tang construction?

So when ya gonna dismantel that baby?

I would be interested in seeing what it looks like underneat that handle.

Re: Tang construction?

Originally posted by Tim P. Miceli
    So when ya gonna dismantel that baby?

I would be interested in seeing what it looks like underneat that handle.
    I'd like to see that too, but since it has a peened down pommel, I don't see him disassembling the sword unless the hilt loosens up and forces him to do so.

BTW, I once disassembled my MRL Black Prince, which has a screw on pommel nut. The sword has a surprisingly robust tang. The only real criticism I had was that the angles formed by the shoulder and the beginning of the tang is a straight 90 degrees - no curved radius - not good.

Here is the original from the Cleveland Museum of Art.
    Stephen Fisher

Re: Re: Tang construction?

Originally posted by Roger Hooper

I'd like to see that too, but since it has a peened down pommel, I don't see him disassembling the sword unless the hilt loosens up and forces him to do so.

BTW, I once disassembled my MRL Black Prince, which has a screw on pommel nut. The sword has a surprisingly robust tang. The only real criticism I had was that the angles formed by the shoulder and the beginning of the tang is a straight 90 degrees - no curved radius - not good.
    Even if it loosens up he is better off repeening without grinding. If you take off the peen completely, you should set the shoulders of the blade back a bit or shorten the handle to get anout tang to repeen.

Mike

Hello. I was reading MRL webpage and noticed that they said many of their swords are not sharp. So I would like to know whether your sword came sharp without secondary bevel or not. .. from the photo it does seem sharp....

I'd like to see pictures of the scabbard it comes with (is it any good?).

I just ordered this sword as well after seeing all the rave reviews I cancelled my strickland viking from them and got this one instead.

Originally posted by Michael Spack
    I'd like to see pictures of the scabbard it comes with (is it any good?).

In my experence, the scabbards are OK, nothing special. At least they are stiff, not a piece of floppy leather. You can get one that is alright, or one that is a piece of garbage (the old quality control issue). They are very similar to the ones that come with Hanwei swords. One thing that was pretty consistant - the metal throats and chapes often came loose with use, and had to be reglued.

Again, I am talking about the MRL of a couple of years ago.

Well, are the scabbards really that bad? The sword shown above is pretty new, right? Or is it one of their older ones? I'd like to see what they look like.

I am having trouble noting many differences between the European Sword and new Classic Medieval sword on Museum Replicas. They seem so similar...

I just got a response from a company selling these swords to get info, and they told me that they are not sharp. Is this correct? I wanted to get a second opinion because it is a bit unclear.

Originally posted by Michael Spack
    Well, are the scabbards really that bad? The sword shown above is pretty new, right? Or is it one of their older ones? I'd like to see what they look like.

I am having trouble noting many differences between the European Sword and new Classic Medieval sword on Museum Replicas. They seem so similar...
    CMS looks more like a DT2130 with a disc pommel to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast