Thread: Solomon kane...

Solomon kane...

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"I've had a wonderful evening... but this wasn't it."
    -- Graucho Marx --

"I remember when I lost my mind.There was something so pleasant about that day...".

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D
    Looks Great~

best post on sfi in awhile!
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

Dang! I've read a lot of Robert E. Howard's stuff, but only a few about Kane. It looks to be rather interesting, and the trailer certainly captured the mood and tone of Howard's stories. Thanks for sharing this.

Meik Skoss
    Shutokukan Dojo
    Koryu.com

It was released in France in Dec ,2009...hopefully we'll hear something soon.
    "A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

-- Graucho Marx --

"I remember when I lost my mind.There was something so pleasant about that day...".

Interesting "how it was made" vid...

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi352453657/

-- Graucho Marx --

I've watched the movie and it's really great! It really reflects the feeling of R.E.Howard's works. We are lucky if the new Conan movie is a as half as good as this one.
    "The relationship between West(Occident) and East(Orient) is indeed an example of a relationship of power and domination. Orientalism is thus a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the Orient and the Occident. It is a Western style of dominating, restructuring and building hegemony over the Orient.İt is an accepted grid for filtering through the Orient into Western consciousness, into the general culture."
    From "Orientalism" by Edward Said

Kane

Which Kane story is this movie derived from????
    Last edited by Joe Pittman; 07-01-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    Long Life

It's an origin story, not based on any particular story.
    <><><> <><><> <><><>
    Do what thy manhood bids thee do,
    from none but self expect applause;
    He noblest lives and noblest dies
    who makes and keeps his self-made laws.

-Sir Richard Francis Burton

any Idea when it is due to be released in the US yet?
    E TAN, E EPI TAS

There are actually several threads on this same subject.

Craig, the fans think that Van Helsing seemed to similar that it would be a waste of money to release it in the states. So it's probably only going to available on DVD. I think you can go on Amazon and pre-order it.
    <><><> <><><> <><><>
    Do what thy manhood bids thee do,
    from none but self expect applause;
    He noblest lives and noblest dies
    who makes and keeps his self-made laws.

-Sir Richard Francis Burton

I didn't think the movie lived up to the trailer... Some parts were well done and some were very tacky... Especially the ending.

I can't wait to see Solomon Kane, actually. James Purefoy was awesome as Mark Anthony in HBO's Rome; he seems like a great choice for a role like this.
    "Pray forget not to have your Broad-Sword, made according to my Pattern; for the Parliment has, and it will with your Postures in my wrestling-Book, cut the Small-Sword out of fashion" --Sir Thomas Parkyns, to Lord Thomas Manners, 1720

"We begin with the Small-Sword, which we must allow to be the nearest Inlet to the relative Arts, and when we are upon the Back-Sword, their near Affinity will appear more clearly." --Captain John Godfrey, Treatise Upon the Useful Science of Defence, 1747

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas S View Post
    Craig, the fans think that Van Helsing seemed to similar that it would be a waste of money to release it in the states. So it's probably only going to available on DVD. I think you can go on Amazon and pre-order it.

Such tragic irony, considering that the clowns who made Van Helsing totally ripped off Kane's "look"...
    "Pray forget not to have your Broad-Sword, made according to my Pattern; for the Parliment has, and it will with your Postures in my wrestling-Book, cut the Small-Sword out of fashion" --Sir Thomas Parkyns, to Lord Thomas Manners, 1720

"We begin with the Small-Sword, which we must allow to be the nearest Inlet to the relative Arts, and when we are upon the Back-Sword, their near Affinity will appear more clearly." --Captain John Godfrey, Treatise Upon the Useful Science of Defence, 1747

James Purefoy is absolutely excellent as Kane. He portays Kane as a believable, deep and three dimensional character.
    "The relationship between West(Occident) and East(Orient) is indeed an example of a relationship of power and domination. Orientalism is thus a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the Orient and the Occident. It is a Western style of dominating, restructuring and building hegemony over the Orient.İt is an accepted grid for filtering through the Orient into Western consciousness, into the general culture."
    From "Orientalism" by Edward Said

Quote Originally Posted by Sancar Ozer View Post
    James Purefoy is absolutely excellent as Kane. He portays Kane as a believable, deep and three dimensional character.
    Well, that is what I would expect from Purefoy. He's a top-notch actor.

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D
    David, where you been man!?
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Salvati View Post
    David, where you been man!?
    Hi Sam. I don't go on the various forums too much these days. I hope all is well with you. How's bladesmithing going?