Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Forumites never die...

Cascadia, closer to Canada than anywhere else!

Old Forumites never die...

...they just cut out for a while.

For those of you who may remember me, I was Diane Mirro several years back...

An acquaintance I knew years before my Swordforum days managed to track me thru the Forum's "Friendship Request" function. Composing the Reader's Digest condensed version of my life these past 12 years for him ignited the nostalgia switch in my brain.

I was pleasantly surprised to find I can still check in here with my old name and password--gotta update the name!--and that the Forum is alive and thriving.

The last time I checked in here I had traded my sword for an ice ax and was roaming the Cascades with my trusty Dingo Tuva--when I wasn't trying to make ends meet as a chiropractor. Life has blessed me with a wondrous mate, a challenging new career, a ten-acre farm...and yaks. Yes, yaks, the closest creatures to unicorns and mammoths living in this dimension...

I am in heaven.

All of life's turns have been surprising and gratifying. I could not be here without the experiences and the people of my past. I wonder if some of you check in here occasionally.

I did see Luke's post--attended his and Courtney's wedding with Chuck, Greg, John...They and my other swordfriends Bill, Scott, Anthony, Victor...so many others--Dave, Charles, Emily, Keith, Russ, David...Renfriends and swordfriends--Japanese and European both, and Aiki buddies from coast to coast...

Gus, how are you doing? Tony? Cecil and Nathan? Adrian? Tinker?

And what about my old swords--Delight, Whisper, Halcyon, Sturmmeister?

Names and faces I haven't thought of in years--not by choice, but living the here and now to the very fullest doesn't leave enough synapses for much else.

But if any others from the days of Warangel and Foxtail care to chime in--now or a few years from now--I will try to check this thread on occasion. Or, you can still find me at ladysamurai@yahoo.com if you wish.

And yes, I would love to know what each of you is up to--every one of you. I care about all of you, above and beyond any disagreements or misunderstandings that may have happened years ago. I have tried to look some of you up, but, like me, you've taken your Web presences down to a minimum. Funny, I remember when we used to LIKE for our names to have lots of Google hits...

All my best to all of you as we live this adventure together.
    In Sangha,
    Diane Mirro
    SFI Moderator

"In wildness is the preservation of the world."--Thoreau

I am a relic of the Highlander board and was dubbed by thee Bard of the Nipmuc at one point.

I had to chuckle in poking around a bit upon your return and may I further ID myself. CQ CQ CQ this is KA1QOK rotflmao I should pay more attention to that hobby but never got the shack set up after packing everything away and moving here in 1998. I'll probably be one of the oldest novices alive pretty soon. I should have just progressed on to tech and beyond at the time but life got in the way (as is common in many pursuits). Wow, how much even that has changed in two decades.

Many have moved on or are infrequent posters. I saw Dale posting a week/month or so ago. Gus has been mum for a couple of years now but apparently still making swords. Tinker stops by once in awhile. Hey wait, I thought a good many of these folk are/were more or less local (nationally speaking anyway).

If you check the announcement section and green room, you will see Adrian passing the hat over to Mark McMorrow.

Cheers

Hotspur; It's always nice to see old names and internet faces pass through every now and then

Wow, now there's a name I haven't seen in some time....

Fellow old-timer here... I still lurk about here, on occasion, although not anywhere near as frequently as I used to...

Lots of the Elders have moved on. That's the way of things, I guess....

And some have passed away. Also the way of things... but still a loss....

Here's a health to friends long gone, and to the days of yore with folks like WarAngel, Foxtail, Karolus, Atrim, and the rest.... good times, good times...
    David K. Wilson, Jr., Laird of Glencoe
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft agley... -- Robert Burns

See, it is I who created the blacksmith
    who fans the coals into flame
    and forges a weapon fit for its work.

-- Isaiah 54:16

Diane,

I remember exchanging messages with you in a few threads. Good to see you back.
    -Mercy to the wolf is cruelty to the sheep.
    -Those who turn their swords into plowshares often end up plowing the fields of those who did not.

Truth be told, the Cascade Mountains certainly do grow on those who love to trek about them. I've been up and down, in and out, rain and shine (and snow) just about every trail, and have not lost the passion to explore.

As mentioned before, most of the seasoned SFI vets have moved on; the obsession of fantasy movie swords and the tiresome katana comparison threads have all but silenced most into the background.

I haven't been to a sword gathering or improve cutting party in years, and I do miss them so. The personal touch of sword collecting has lost some of its luster without the public (in person) outlet to share.

The Renaissance Faires of old have dumbed down to become fantasy costume contests, sword carry is no longer being allowed (I won't bother to rant about the Vampire crowd).

I haven't studied in a Dojo for years since moving, and have not found anything near by that would allow me to continue.

The one positive note, like fine wine; great swords do get better with age.

Perhaps its time again to stir the pot.
    I'm lost---- I've gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

I work for Keyser Söze.

Hello, Diane, very nice to hear from you. Sounds like things are going very well indeed. Congratulations, much deserved. Am still here, fighting the good (but ultimately doomed) fight for JSA. Had some personal growth and changes, too, other things mostly the same. Take care, hope to see you around, occasionally, wherever.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

Well now, I might have to look into Yaks. Always thought they were for cooler climes then the PNW. Yeah, I still check in as well. Always a new
    twist in an old tale.
    "Do not suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretences of politeness, delicacy or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice.” John Adams, 1789

"Everything the enemy least expects will succeed the best."

Frederick the Great 1747

Hi Diane,

Good to hear from you. Glad you're doing well and enjoying life!

Yaks! C'mon you know you need to post pics!
    I am the voice of Reason, but I'd rather have his eyes.

Licensed "Hunter" references supplied upon request: Mystical Cursed or Engineered, We do them all! Reasonable Rates, Please Inquire

Quote Originally Posted by D. Opheim View Post
    Truth be told, the Cascade Mountains certainly do grow on those who love to trek about them. I've been up and down, in and out, rain and shine (and snow) just about every trail, and have not lost the passion to explore.

As mentioned before, most of the seasoned SFI vets have moved on; the obsession of fantasy movie swords and the tiresome katana comparison threads have all but silenced most into the background.

I haven't been to a sword gathering or improve cutting party in years, and I do miss them so. The personal touch of sword collecting has lost some of its luster without the public (in person) outlet to share.

The Renaissance Faires of old have dumbed down to become fantasy costume contests, sword carry is no longer being allowed (I won't bother to rant about the Vampire crowd).

I haven't studied in a Dojo for years since moving, and have not found anything near by that would allow me to continue.

There has definitely been a drop off, that was in fact the topic of discussion for some of us at the Bladeshow in Atlanta this year. Some of us are still here though we just don't talk as much as we used to. It is a different world then 12 years ago certainly when Bjorn Helqvist, Thomas Macdonald and Patrick Kelley roamed the board. However, as you can see Glen and David are still here. I assume Adrian must be around someplace since the board is still functioning. The guys at Arms and Armor and Albion are still in business. Mr. Evans, Mr. Cashen and Mr. Johnsson along with a host of newcomers are still producing swords. All is not lost, these things tend to be cyclical. Right now with the economy the way it is I suspect we are at a low point.
    Last edited by Russ Ellis; 07-30-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    Tritonworks Custom Scabbards
    www.tritonworks.com

Good to hear from all of you...

Feeding the nostalgia bug!

Quote Originally Posted by D. Opheim View Post

Wow--sounds like we drifted away at the beginning of the end. Ah, the days of roaming the Renn Faires with non-peace-tied sword in hand...

I'm glad I left before the end.

As for yaks, you'll find them from Washington to Maine, from Alberta to Virginia. Just go to www.iyak.org and click on "members" and you can browse by name or by state/province/country.

You can also find yak breeders in Great Britain, New Zealand, Europe and other non-traditional locales (They are native to Tibet, Mongolia, Nepal, Bhutan, Siberis, Pakistan and neighboring regions.)

I wanted registered yaks with excellent wool and great temperaments (if you are going to work closely with horned stock, gentleness is a good thing!) The closest source of what I was looking for was Spring Brook Ranch in Kalispell, MT. Thay are super folks, and they did very well by me.

Let's see if I can post some images--the first is Rogue, my big, bad yearling bull; the second is Nellie with her four-month old baby Joy; and the third is the herd (all five of them) coming into the small pasture for treats, Scarlett is in the lead, followed by Kloe:
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Diane Mirro; 07-30-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    In Sangha,
    Diane Mirro
    SFI Moderator

Diane!

You certainly sound well...
    Wait, you named a yak "Scarlett?" I love it.

MissM is no more; she's all grown up (15 next month) and is now Marge.
    Returned from band camp just today with her trombone and a sunburn.
    Not so much into swords now, but she's loving javelins and bows. I had no idea arrows cost so much. Or went so far.

Dan got his second degree, not enough. Now, he'll start at West Liberty in August. Yep, my son still lives here and good thing, because I am not cutting all this grass myself.

Never did finish my JD. Got my long term sub-certificate, so we've done ok.
    Subbing is a lot like hell on the installment plan.

I need to know: how do you shear a yak?

Trish

Thanks for the info Diane. I never thought about Yaks as warm weather critters. But the hair is very useful for weaving. Not that I know how.
    Hows the milk? Is it richer then cows milk?
    "Do not suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretences of politeness, delicacy or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice.” John Adams, 1789

Frederick the Great 1747

The site you referneced is quite informative. I too thought you'd have to shear them until I read the site. Beautiful animals!
    I am the voice of Reason, but I'd rather have his eyes.

Licensed "Hunter" references supplied upon request: Mystical Cursed or Engineered, We do them all! Reasonable Rates, Please Inquire

Hi Trish, Arik, Peter,

Since yak shed naturally, there is usually no need to shear--however, you can, if you want to. Only problem is that then you have lots of hair mixed with the wool, making it not as good for spinning. Rogue, my wooly bull, has such a matted first year coat that I may end up having to shear him--some of the even woolier ones at Spring Brook got that treatment from the ranch manger a few weeks ago.

And I cannot take credit for their names--Christy in Montana is responsible, but her choices all fit them so well that I am getting them officially registered with those names.

Yak milk is much richer than cow's milk, not very plentiful. Joy still nurses, and you can practically see her increasing in size every day. I am hoping eventually to milk some of my future herd.
    In Sangha,
    Diane Mirro
    SFI Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Mirro View Post
    ...living the here and now to the very fullest doesn't leave enough synapses for much else...
    Ain't that the truth.

Hey Diane, nice critters. I pop in every few months to see what's happening. I just happened to get the urge today.
    Örn Doomslayer a.k.a. Þorfinn , the one we don't let steer, Commander of the Twin Tiers

OMG! Diane! It really is old forumites day isnt it! Meet you at Scarbough Faire when I and Courtney meet up with you one year. Now all we need is for Brickslayer Moran to show up! LOL!

Ooo... nice yakkies.

Wink Feeding the ladies

A couple more photos.

Working with yaks is a martial art unto itself. In the less than three months that I've had them, I have learned quite a bit about their personalities and likely behaviors. When I am in the pasture with them, they challenge my awareness training to the utmost: I am constantly evaluating their positions, their moods, and whether it is best if I reposition myself. Also, if I can introduce more training to them. After all, every one of them carries six sharp-and-pointies--counting both horns and hooves--and they can be VERY ACCURATE with all of them...

Fortunately, they do not challenge me. I have already shown them that I will not back down, and that I can be very scary when I want to be!

Someone who works with horses would understand--every interaction is a lesson of sorts, both for them and for me. Yesterday we needed them to move out of the small pasture so that we could open the perimeter gate and drive the car in to unload fenceposts. I knew I could just flap my arms and walk towards them to shoo them out, but I didn't want to do it that way.
    Even though I had never done it before, I simply walked past them with the bucket of treats--known as "packer pellets"--and started shaking the bucket and calling them. They followed eagerly right out to the big pasture, where I then distributed the pellets on the ground, handfeeding a couple of them. I was then able to slip past them and shut the inside gate.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    In Sangha,
    Diane Mirro
    SFI Moderator

Hi Diane

Like you I have been absent for a long time, maybe its time to see if we can make it fun again

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Boas View Post
    Hi Diane

Like you I have been absent for a long time, maybe its time to see if we can make it fun again

Dennis
    Fun

Oh, you have done said the F word opening the portal to flightless water foul from below the anti-arctic circle and bity rodents with long sleek bodies.

Hey dennis. Long time no see.

Frederick the Great 1747

Hi Diane

Dennis
    I do hope you're not implying it's only fun with the old crowd.

Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

Having Fun

I really need to figure out how to make it fun for myself, somewhere along the way I stopped looking forward to logging into the forums.

I really miss the weasels and the Penguins

Thumbs up

I miss the Weasels and the Penguins too, but if I Never see a flashing photo of David Hasselhoff in a 'speedo' ever again I will be much happier.

for those who do not know some one posted that to the Pub once

lol

well, I will see what I can do to make it fun

I really need to figure out how to make it fun for myself, somewhere along the way I stopped looking forward to logging into the forums.

I really miss the weasels and the Penguins
    Fun is all about attitude. It creates itself with the right one.
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast