Thread: Indian Ivory mounted Dagger?

Indian Ivory mounted Dagger?

I am trying to pin down where this Dagger comes from.

Ive seen similar before but annot think where...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

ten-sided hollow applied bolster; interesting.
    My first feeling was Algerian, and is based mainly on the handle. But kodme bolsters are usually solid/integral not welded/applied, and there are other unusuallnesses/objections to that idea. Can we see the back of the sheath? The overall shape looks much more Northern and Eastern; Persian or Indo-Persian.
    Last edited by tom hyle; 08-30-2010 at 06:07 AM.

Hope these pics hlp...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Hello Patrick,

On first glance it looks like a Persian kard. Like Tom said though, it is quite unusual. The faceted bolster for one, and the partial tang for another. Bolster construction and the fullers make me think Nepal. The tang is very odd, what with the two pins holding it...not the usual Nepalese type, nor the full tang and scales type.
    The handle looks more like bone than ivory. I've seen the stamped mark before, don't recall what it was from but I believe it was Afghan or Uzbek, Nepal border lands.

Emanuel
    Always check your assumptions...there are no contradictions.
    Get some real news...
    www.informationclearinghouse.info
    www.counterpunch.org
    http://globalresearch.ca

The Handle is Ivory, not Elephant but something different. Its definately not Bone.

I t recall the mark but cannot place it

Just had a look at the scabbard. Reinforces my impression of Nepalese work, khukri scabbards from the 19th-early20th century and even more recent have the same decorative pattern of square, X and || . I could see this being Afghan and the mark being a stylized stamp of the Mazar-i-Sharif armoury or something similar. The relatively poor quality of the balde and the fullers is very odd though. Something armoury-made is usually of better quality and the stamp more refined.
    Always check your assumptions...there are no contradictions.
    Get some real news...
    www.informationclearinghouse.info
    www.counterpunch.org
    http://globalresearch.ca