Thread: When it comes to USGI Cavalry sabers...

When it comes to USGI Cavalry sabers...

They don't come any older than this. I recently acquired a Starr M1798, the first US horseman's saber contracted by the US government. The contract was for 2000 pieces (some say ~2500), and very few survive today. This specimen, though not in mint condition, still has traces of the original leather and about two turns of the original brass wire.

A very nice find Sean. I am reminded of the example from Dave Radcliffe's article Four Big Black Swords but I think because we just don't see many aound. I imagine you will in time meet the gap of history with a Virginia Manufactory sword.(or did you already?>jealous<). I had just packed up my books for travel or would be plying through them again.

Cheers

Hotspur; that is a most excellent addition to any early American made sword

Thanks, Glen. I am very pleased with this addition to my Cavalry saber collection. I also tried for the Buel and Greenleaf 2nd contract saber offered in the same auction, but someone with deeper pockets or greater need snagged that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Glen C. View Post
    I imagine you will in time meet the gap of history with a Virginia Manufactory sword
    Unfortunately, probably not. I focus on Federal contract/issue weapons, and while many of the militia and State arsenal sabers are very interesting (and some are quite beautiful pieces of art), my lack of a winning lottery ticket forces me to remain faithful to my primary interest. I still have several holes to fill as it is...and then there are upgrades...

A very nice addition Sean! These early US swords are indeed difficult to find in any condition.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson