Thread: Shipping Law from Japan changed...

Annoucement about oversea's shipping...

Hi everybody,This is IMPORTANT.
    I buy a lot of Japanese Antique's from a friend in Japan.These items can be anything from Tansu,old garden lanterns,Bonsai pots,temple carvings,Candlesticks as well as lots of sword parts.
    He just informed me this morning that "Effective Immediately,no package over 400 grams (the size of a tsuba or kozuka) can be shipped from Japan to the United States by EMS,or SAL.The only shipping of anything larger, will have to me sent Seamail".This mode takes many,many weeks.
    This is a new Anti-Terrorist law most like put into effect because of the packages sent from Yemen a week ago.I don't have all of the details yet but I'm sure that it will effect the oversea's transactions on Ebay as well as any swords coming into the US from France(Citadel) or the myriads of swords coming from China (Bugei,Hanwei,..etc...)
    It's going to effect my business as well as many others, I would imagine.
    This new law only effects the US ...for now.
    -tom

Hi Tom, please do find specifics regarding an international embargo of such carriers directed to the U.S.A. While a great heads up for many (I'm sure) what you have mentioned seems to lack a great deal of concrete information. Another alert had recently been sent out regarding China but then if we read through a recent thread here in the general forum regarding transit through China, even that lacks a great deal of specificity regarding international alerts.

Without the particulars and then addressing every source affected by what you mention, it becomes (very much) word of mouth that then becomes rumors and mis-information.

Thanks again for the heads up but let's find some particulars to bolster what is right now, just hearsay. A letter from a China source had circulated but you are mentioning trade from Japan and other countries. Let's see the internationally affected rulings and paperwork. A media article in lieu of something more official would still be a good start.

Cordially

Glen

I have also copied this to the Legal Issues section and with the additional note that the guidelines for that section should be considered valid for any other sections this arises in.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103412

This info was passed to me from the gentleman that I deal with in Japan.Apparently he went to the post office,and as soon as the clerk saw the US destinations on his packages,she politely declined shipping them,stating this new law.
    I'll ask him more of what he knows and see if I can locate this recent Moratorium.There is unfortunately,a six hour time lag in the exchange of information with my friend there.
    I'll see what I can dig up.
    -tom

Thanks Tom,

Considering Greece had a temporary halt in traffic, business is (has been) back to normal for a week or more now.

If anyone has hard information (or even media links from the week after the Yemen incident) regarding a global (Japan, France and China included) restriction of parcels, please be specific and offer hard sources. Without the facts, there are times when what may be well meant is more like just pulling a pin and tossing the tidbit into combustible discussion.

Cheers

Glen

Reminds me of when I tried to send a package and the lady at Canada Post told me they could not ship it because it had to weigh more for its size or the size had to be smaller! I took it away and next day went in again to get a different clerk who gladly processed it without adding weight or shrinking the box!

My friend in Japan makes his living participating in ''Closed to Foreigner" auctions.He is basically my buying agent, and I have a relationship which stretches back a few years.
    I have purchased many thousands of dollars of items from him,that would have cost me ten times as much had I bought these same items from Japanese Antique Dealers domestically.
    If fact, I posted this oppurtunity for other forumites to participate in some months ago, apparently resulting in little interest.I have purchased Edo Era tsuba and kozuka including the signed,heathy kogatana blade within for $150.00 US or less.
    Compare those prices to any dealer here or even ebay.
    It is one of the ways I've been able to both furnish my home and add wonderful antique details to my sword mounts.
    The gentleman to which I refer is a learned man,not some kid,so I take his info very seriously.

The gentleman to which I refer is a learned man,not some kid,so I take his info very seriously.
    Hi Tom,

We all probably await further development but in some time today reading some news (yes, I really do live under a rock), I find nothing new in international USPS receipt of parcels, nor anything of note in international mandates regarding parcels. Individual countries have been alerted by the UPS and FEDEX issue from weeks ago but that was, well, weeks ago. If Japan's mail service has/was affected by that, there must be some other corroborating information somewhere.

As for Bugei and many other bulk exporters, most ship in container loads?

The invitation regarding middling goods from Japan was a gracious one but kind of beside the point in initiating your thread today.

Cheers

Glen

Land of Sun and Stone, where the Free dwell...
    Just noticing that a relevant thread is up in the NMB as well...
    Daring beyond power, risking against prudent advice and optimists in danger...
    Thucydides

what is the NMB?...and John..

...this should not effect the tsuba I am sending you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coris View Post
    Just noticing that a relevant thread is up in the NMB as well...
    http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8954

I can't speak to other countries, but there does seem to be something happening with the Japanses Post Office. Hobbylink Japan had this:

"As has been reported in the media, the Japan Postal Service is tightening regulations regarding the sending of air-shipped packages to the US and its territories in response to recent terrorist threats to the US.

However, we have been assured by the Japan Postal Service that this will have absolutely no effect at all on any postal EMS or SAL shipments from HobbyLink Japan to the US (or anywhere else), and shipping will continue as usual. All shipping methods are available, including FedEx.

So, you can continue to shop with confidence at HobbyLink Japan!"

So it appears that there is something going on, but it can be worked around.

Just received an item from Singapore today with out any issue other than the postal clerk forgetting to leave a package notice. It took two weeks through Singapore Post.
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

From an eBay vendor whose items I watch frequently.

ATTENTION!!! To bidders in USA,

Please do not bid on this item. Or we have to cancel the bidding.

We can no longer ship items over 4oz to USA.

Therefore, we can only ship one small item, Tsuba or Kozuka etc (no combine, no Koshirae, no sword)

Japan Government announced that all EMS, SAL parcel, Fedex over 4oz (except documents) will not be accepted from tomorrow. This is due to recent terrorism in USA.

We are very sorry for this short notice and inconvenience.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Just to add to strange American laws, you require an import/ export certificate to purchase shotgun parts from the US to Canada, but do not require this for rifle parts! The process takes about 3 months!
    Maybe Canadians will secretly make shotguns from parts, and invade the US??
    Retaliation for the Fenian raids?
    I would really like to know the reasoning behind these decisions, or would it be too politically garbled?
    Do not take this personally, I'm sure all countries have their weird policies regarding the things we collect!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Just to add to strange American laws, you require an import/ export certificate to purchase shotgun parts from the US to Canada, but do not require this for rifle parts! The process takes about 3 months!
    Maybe Canadians will secretly make shotguns from parts, and invade the US??
    Retaliation for the Fenian raids?
    I would really like to know the reasoning behind these decisions, or would it be too politically garbled?
    Do not take this personally, I'm sure all countries have their weird policies regarding the things we collect!
    Offering nothing to the current issue is political speculation and firearms analogies.

Cease and desist.

Thanks in advance for you considerations.

Shipping Law from Japan changed...

As of December,items will be able to be shipped from Japan again as before using EMS.The larger size allowed will be back to normal also.
    This is from the same gentleman who told me of the original restrictions.
    Personally I'm glad,as I like to buy or build my own tansu.And just shipping the many iron parts like the handles,backplates,locks corner and side brackets,hell even the antique original nails, sent as a package as before would have been not allowed by those new restrictions.I also buy all manner of Japanese antiques besides sword related items.So all of these things were suddenly unavailable.
    Glad the ruling has been reversed.
    -tom