Thread: Shut Up and Train?

1. Shut Up and Train?

Forums are for talking, and when everyone stops doing that, the forum dies. Yet this seems to make a lot of us anxious, as if we are wasting our time here when we should be training. Thus, a lot of threads on martial arts boards seem to eventually end with someone saying "shut up and train" or "less chat, more mat" or some such pithy aphorism.

But is anyone actually on the forum when they could be training? For instance, right now I am responsible for a two year old for the next several hours, and I am having my morning coffee, doing my emails and checking up on SFI while the kid watches "Caillou." If I could spend the day training I'd love to, but it's just not in the cards for today so I'm on here instead.

I suspect a lot of people are on the forum while they're at the office, but not when they could be training. If I wasn't obsessed with doing this stuff, I sure wouldn't be obsessed with talking about it. So, since we can't always train, let's not shut up!
    "Am fear a thug buaidh air fhein, thug e buaidh air namhaid."

Good points. In my case I'm unwinding after a night shift prior to going to bed.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton

I follow a simple rule: Do what you enjoy. We're not actually going to battle, so there's no real need to beat ourselves up too much.
    <><><> <><><> <><><>
    Do what thy manhood bids thee do,
    from none but self expect applause;
    He noblest lives and noblest dies
    who makes and keeps his self-made laws.

-Sir Richard Francis Burton

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas S View Post
    I follow a simple rule: Do what you enjoy. We're not actually going to battle, so there's no real need to beat ourselves up too much.
    How can you say that? What of the imminent zombie apocolypse???

Dear Jon,

Please learn to parry.

Love,

Your Innards x

The Exiles

I like coming here to post pictures of projects.

Sometimes I'm dismayed when someone posts something really nice, and gets only 3 or 4 comments, or a new bladesmith shows his work and gets virtually nothing.

I see in some forums, sometimes people pst a picture of their attempted tsukamaki and get 20 replies congratulating them, even if the work is really, really bad.

Maybe it's just a cycle. Maybe some people are training more, doing more work, but who knows if that translates into less time here.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

I think some of the 'less chat' is just an attitude that the real learning happens on the training floor. especially if someone is asking about something that will (eventually) be clear through focused, guided practice. trading notes with largely anonymous folks online may be entertaining ( I like it, or would not be a mod) but the relative educational value can be low. depends.

Dave
    Happy Holidays to all
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thompson View Post
    Forums are for talking, and when everyone stops doing that, the forum dies. Yet this seems to make a lot of us anxious, as if we are wasting our time here when we should be training. Thus, a lot of threads on martial arts boards seem to eventually end with someone saying "shut up and train" or "less chat, more mat" or some such pithy aphorism.

But is anyone actually on the forum when they could be training? For instance, right now I am responsible for a two year old for the next several hours, and I am having my morning coffee, doing my emails and checking up on SFI while the kid watches "Caillou." If I could spend the day training I'd love to, but it's just not in the cards for today so I'm on here instead.

I suspect a lot of people are on the forum while they're at the office, but not when they could be training. If I wasn't obsessed with doing this stuff, I sure wouldn't be obsessed with talking about it. So, since we can't always train, let's not shut up!
    I am much more concerned with too much chatting on the training floor then I am on this or other forums.

Allen
    Gallowglass Academy
    www.GallowglassAcademy.org