Thread: Mk1 Production dates

Mk1 Production dates

Hello all,

I understand Mk1 military kukri's were produced until 1915?

Today I handled an example which was dated 6. 16. on the handle. I was not able to take pictures, but I am hoping to acquire the kukri in question.

Has anybody else seen/handled a later dated specimen?

Southern Germany, squeezed between black forest and Swabian Alps

handle dates ...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher J G Scott View Post
    Hello all,

I understand Mk1 military kukri's were produced until 1915?

Today I handled an example which was dated 6. 16. on the handle. I was not able to take pictures, but I am hoping to acquire the kukri in question.

Has anybody else seen/handled a later dated specimen?
    Hi Christopher.
    I would be interesting to see how that date looks like - to my information official governmental inspection was marked on the blade (as the handle is a replacement part).
    I also have a unmarked kukri that has a 1914 date scratched in the handle - but I believe that was the date when said kukri was captured.
    I've never seen an "official inspection" stamped on the handle (leaving aside that even today i could scratch or punch any date into a handle).

So it would be most interesting to see a picture of said stamp - I personally have never seen an MKI that had a 1916 stamp on the blade but 1915 is the latest I saw.
    That does not mean that a small run of 1916s does not exist; the MKI is a rare model in itself and if say 2000 were still produced and issued early 1916 i'd not expect more than a handful to have survived until today.

So you got me hooked in .
    regards
    Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Volk; 01-11-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: typos
    As lo, the boy looked upon the beauty of the forward curved blade, and beauty stayed his hands
    and from that day forward, he was financially doomed.

King Kukri, 2005

Hello Andreas,

Many thanks for your reply!

The date/markings are on the handle in the same format as my other MK1, shown in this thread:

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...ight=mk1+kukri

The kukri in question also carries a F.W. stamp (Fort William)

I've still not been able to take pictures, but I am hoping to meet up with the owner this weekend, so more pictures to follow (I hope!)

On second thoughts

Rereading the quoted thread above, I think it is more likely that these handle marks are issue or inspection dates, rather than manufacturer dates.

Ho hum!!

pictures

Chris,
    No worries - as soon as there are pictures we'll have more clarity.
    cheers
    Andreas
    As lo, the boy looked upon the beauty of the forward curved blade, and beauty stayed his hands

King Kukri, 2005

Dates

Hello Andreas,

I couldn't stand the suspense, so i arranged to meet this afternoon and here are the results:

A.S.
    F.W.

Pictures attached. There is also the tatty remains of a machine made scabbard!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Inspection / issue stamps

Hi Christopher.
    Again an interesting pick - an authentique hand forged MK1 that seems machine finished.
    And we have A.S. again, something I was still unable to dig out. Overall I still agree with the findings from the first thread.
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95672

We look at a kukri that was eitehr issued or inspected (or first inspected and then issued) in 1916 in Fort William - and as long if 6 is not the number of the
    inspector (which i doubt) it should mean June of 1916.
    Maybe A.S. identifies the inspecting / issuing person / body in FW ?

Yet looking at the style of kauri I assume that the blade was made before 1915.
    Another thing I dare say is that this is not its original handle. The handle overall is too slender and "traditional" for a classical MK1.
    What supports this is, that the bolster fits the handle but is obviously to small for the base of the blade (the whole handle should have a lager diameter to fit the balde).
    To me it looks as if the handle was replaced after damage - but already in 1916. Thanks for the detailed shot on the nut peg. It's hard to tell if it was opened - the parallel scratch marks could point to this. If that was opened it happened a long time ago, which would support the 1916 date for the handle meeting the balde.

I understand that at this time of the year almost all pictures need a flashlight (with the leaden sky hanging so low here, my camera wanted to flash when i was taking a picture in front of my house in broad daylight). So it is difficult to judge the blade condition.
    Yet it seems that during its history somebody did an agressive cleaning of the balde taking away not only the rust but some if its blade surface. The edge and edge line between shoulder and point also suggest some serious regrinding. That is saddening - but taken into account that this blade is 96+ years old; some nasty things can happen to a knife during roughly 100 years.

Just my observations here - if anybody has seen the A.S. stamp before or has any idea it would be great to know. As it appears on a handle that has a good chance of being an early replacement, I doubt that A.S. identifies the maker, but has a differnt meaning (that seems somehow connected to Fort William).

my 2-euro cents (for as long as this currency will still be arround )
    Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Volk; 01-13-2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: inserting link

King Kukri, 2005

Hello Andreas!

Many thanks indeed for your thorough reply, some very interesting points!

I understand what you mean about the bolster possibly indicating a replacement handle, however, I wonder if the bolster is on back to front, as the overhang of the blade is matched on the back by an overhang of the bolster at the back of the handle. Just an idea, I'm not sure if it shows in the photos?

I think a lot of the kukri's that found there way back to the UK as souviners ended up as practical tools, I have purchased two or three that emerged from garden sheds, and one from a gentlemen that admitted he used it in the garden for "pruning"!!!

This one was found in a garden shed, and has the remains of a service scabbard, though sadly I cannot find any discernable markings. The previous owner has soaked the blade in WD40 and cleaned with fine wire wool, which shouldn't have done any damage.

The blade does show signs of sharpening, and the spine has been hammered at some point, although it is not as bad as the flash assited pictures make it look!

As to the Euro who knows how long it will last? My advice? Invest ALL your money in Kukris!!!
    Last edited by Christopher J G Scott; 01-13-2011 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Spelling!!!