Thread: Identification help please - small sword with brass handle

Identification help please - small sword with brass handle

Hello,

My father has owned this little sword for many years, I think he inherited from his father, and he doesn't know anything about it.

The mark on the blade looks like a double R, back to back.

It is approx 24" long and weighs about 850g.

Please see the photos.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

British Drummers, Mark 1, the 6 99 is the date for June 1899, the other mark 1GR is a regimental designation.
    They differ from bandsmen swords because Drummers swords were carried by enlisted soldiers.

Thank you very much! That makes it more interesting than I thought.

You must have a good monitor to see the 6 99 mark - I thought it was some plain dots.

1 GR is: 1st Gloustershire Regiment

Will. According to both Robson and Withers, the Mark II supplanted the Mark I in 1895. Whether someone continued to make the Mark I beyond 1895 is of course a possibility to be considered.
    "Ancora imparo - Michelangelo Buonarotti"

1 GR is: 1st Gloustershire Regiment

Thank you very much, most appreciated.

I had originally thought it was an ornamental piece, so it is quite nice to discover it would have been part of uniform.

Could be old stock, and the date is when it went into use. If you had extras you would not throw them away and buy new. Swords took, in different cases, several years to turn over to the new pattern replacing them.

Hello all, 8 years later and a family member is interested in buying this sword from my late father's estate. Can anyone advise what a fair price would be? In 2011 an auctioneer told me it was worth about £80.

Russell. We do not give evaluations on this forum . I suggest you check the different auction and sales sites on the internet. Regards
    "Ancora imparo - Michelangelo Buonarotti"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob E. Ozias View Post
    Russell. We do not give evaluations on this forum . I suggest you check the different auction and sales sites on the internet. Regards
    Thank you Rob, I didn't realise.

If I recall correctly, the back-to-back Rs is an armourer's stamp and means 'unserviceable' and so withdrawn from use.