Thread: Tactical wakisashi

Tactical wakisashi

I set out to make a tactical wakizashi, with simplicity in mind. However, to me, a wakizashi is a rather beautiful blade, while anything "tactical" (as the term is used nowadays) is a purely utilitarian object. As such, i attempted to blur the dichotomy and find a mix of the two; this is the result.

Overall length: 26.25 inches
    Blade length: 16.75 inches
    blade width: 1.25 inches
    handle width: 1 inch

1075 steel blade differentially heat treated, with an edge hardness of 60 and a spine hardness of about 40hrc. hamon is slightly visible. My initials "j" and "m" are carved on each side of the blade around the choil. The handle is layered red and black g10. I rather like working with it, I’m realizing. The G10 gets thinner about the top of the handle, where it is wrapped with ito; again, in an attempt to combine traditional with new tactical. Pins with holes adorn the tsuka, and paracord is strung through and braided for added grip towards the bottom. Filework on both sides of the handle are also for grip as well as a little flash. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Johnny Montalvo

"Standing before the enemy,
    he strikes
    but I am already behind him."
    -Morihei Ueshiba

It's not my taste, personally. But it is visually interesting, and I think it's great that you have the talent to make your visions into reality. Thanks for sharing your work.

I, personally, wouldn't call that a wakizashi as much as a messer of some sort.

If I were to take on a "tactical wakizashi" I would go for a thru hardened shobu zukuri style blade, possibly a kogarasu style blade, with a rubberized tsuka. The thru hardening would make a more durable blade, which would matter in a tactical situation. Tactical, to me, means simple, few parts, and will take a beating and keep on doing it's thing.

This is nice, it's just not my thing. It feels more fantasy than tactical.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ellis View Post
    I, personally, wouldn't call that a wakizashi as much as a messer of some sort.

If I were to take on a "tactical wakizashi" I would go for a thru hardened shobu zukuri style blade, possibly a kogarasu style blade, with a rubberized tsuka. The thru hardening would make a more durable blade, which would matter in a tactical situation. Tactical, to me, means simple, few parts, and will take a beating and keep on doing it's thing.

This is nice, it's just not my thing. It feels more fantasy than tactical.
    This, IMHO.

Great Piece

Tac with flair, I like the grip work. Strong blade tac blade with personality. 3 thumbs up
    Long Life

Nice work. Neat little piece. I like the filework. Nice touch.
    "If you can draw it, we can make it".
    "ART SHOULD HURT"

Matt Stagmer - Sword Maker @ BKS

www.Baltimoreknife.com
    www.Facebook.com/Baltimoreknife

I really like the knife, particularly the initials on the blade. I have to say though, it doesn't qualify as a wakizashi, nor as tactical. =/

Got my computer working finally...

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words.
    With a blade width of 1.25 inches and a blade length of about 17 inches, its far from being a messer, and long from being a knife. It is short sword sized, for sure. Moreover, it handles like a wakizashi; i designed it this way. It was actually, and originally, a concept for an unique machete, however.

As far as it being fantasy I'm going to have to disagree entirely; rather, it is simply a blade in which each factor and part was custom tailored to some particular need; be it the way i want it to handle, its differential heat treat, or the half wraped tsuka. It is not fantastical in that each aspect has a function; the initial engraving may not so much, but thats about it. even the filework is strategically placed to add some grip to the lower half of the tsuka. Consider, for a moment, if you couldnt find a nice pair of pants. some are too tight, some are too long. if you were to custom tailor your own pants to fit your own, inherently different, needs, does anyone have the right to say they are not pants?

It may not be considered by some as tactical, but that is besides the point given that the term "tactical" is only loosely defined.
    If you define tactical as merely a practical tool, then it passes. it is a handy little cutter. If one defines it as bare bones, then it really is bare bones, if you look at its construction, with the exception of some engraving and detailing.

It is not some boring black tactical blade, it is not a traditional wakizashi, it is, as i meantioned, the conjunction of the two in my minds eye, and it is one tough little blade.
    Johnny Montalvo

"Standing before the enemy,
    he strikes
    but I am already behind him."
    -Morihei Ueshiba

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny M. View Post
    Consider, for a moment, if you couldnt find a nice pair of pants. some are too tight, some are too long. if you were to custom tailor your own pants to fit your own, inherently different, needs, does anyone have the right to say they are not pants?
    People have a right to say whatever they want whether or not you think they're wrong

It may not be considered by some as tactical, but that is besides the point given that the term "tactical" is only loosely defined.
    If you define tactical as merely a practical tool, then it passes. it is a handy little cutter. If one defines it as bare bones, then it really is bare bones, if you look at its construction, with the exception of some engraving and detailing.

It is not some boring black tactical blade, it is not a traditional wakizashi, it is, as i meantioned, the conjunction of the two in my minds eye, and it is one tough little blade.
    TACTICAL:
    1af or relating to combat tactics: as a (1) : of or occurring at the battlefront <a tactical defense> <a tactical first strike> (2) : using or being weapons or forces employed at the battlefront <tactical missiles> b of an air force : of, relating to, or designed for air attack in close support of friendly ground forces
    2a : of or relating to tactics: as (1) : of or relating to small-scale actions serving a larger purpose (2) : made or carried out with only a limited or immediate end in view b : adroit in planning or maneuvering to accomplish a purpose.

IMO this could be said like so: A "tactical" object must efficiently accomplish a specific task due to it's own inherent properties which may be utilized effectively by anyone with proper training.

Whereas your blade enables you specifically to accomplish....? You don't seem to have defined what this blade is to be good at other than being easy for you to use efficiently... thus I'd say it's custom... I don't think it's a fantasy though lol.

Either way, like I said, it's a good looking knife and appears well made, kudos man.

A wakizashi is a relatively short Japanese blade made to be thrust into one's obi - hence "wakizashi". This blade doesn't look Japanese, nor to be carried in one's obi, so I hesitate to call it a wakizashi. But it's an interesting design, beautifully made. Personally, the sheath seems a little tacky.