Thread: otake sensei katana ??

otake sensei katana ??

Hi
    i'm trying to find some info about about otake sensei katana from katori shinto ryu. Does anybody could help me , what kind of katana that he use ?
    thank you

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lukman prasetyo View Post
    Hi
    i'm trying to find some info about about otake sensei katana from katori shinto ryu. Does anybody could help me , what kind of katana that he use ?
    thank you
    Not sure, but I can speak to the bokuto of that style which are are shorter and a little stouter than your common run of the mill bokuto, but not as hefty as some of the others.

I recommend trying to contact Phil Relnick who might know, certainly knows more than I.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hick View Post
    Not sure, but I can speak to the bokuto of that style which are are shorter and a little stouter than your common run of the mill bokuto, but not as hefty as some of the others.

I recommend trying to contact Phil Relnick who might know, certainly knows more than I.

Steve
    thank you steve
    i've already contact phil relnick a couple days ago , and still waiting for the answer. Anybody could help ?

Why do you wonder? What will you do with that information?
    Steffen W. Gjerding
    Norway
    Kakudokan dojo

Yup lousy English, sorry…

Quote Originally Posted by Steffen Gjerding View Post
    Why do you wonder? What will you do with that information?
    i'm just collecting information about Katori Shinto Ryu and interested to know the stories about this martial art

Do you have the BBC Way of the Warrior series?

There's some nice footage in that may give you a better impression, but overall that's rather obscure information, not sure that anyone other than those personally acquainted to Otake Sensai would be able to shed light.

I know it's a old, 600years odd from memory.
    Know the length of your...

Quote Originally Posted by J.Jarman View Post
    Do you have the BBC Way of the Warrior series?

There's some nice footage in that may give you a better impression, but overall that's rather obscure information, not sure that anyone other than those personally acquainted to Otake Sensai would be able to shed light.

I know it's a old, 600years odd from memory.
    If memory serves me correctly, it is discussed briefly in the book that went along with the series "The Way of the Warrior: The Paradox of the Martial Arts"

Nice pickup Mr Buchner, i had completely overlooked the book, no doubt the OP's best bet.

I have heard that the iaito used in Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu for iaijutsu training is of a fixed length and is rather short, like 2 shaku 3 sun or something. Please take that with a couple grains of salt.

Otake sensei himself uses a blade of 2.25 shaku (around 68.5cm). I believe the handle is around 8 sun. Blade features a (sweet) Heianjo tsuba. Best picture of the tsuba I could find:
    http://budoshugyosha.over-blog.com/a...-53965318.html

... it looks a little like this one (4th from top but them with sakura themed zogan)
    http://gaiginsjapaneseartsword.ca/BrassInlayTsuba.htm
    https://www.facebook.com/TheSamuraiWorkshop - Custom sword mounts, restoration, Kaneie shinken and a whole lot more about Japanese history and martial arts culture

...because spending hundreds of dollars on something that can cost you your life is worth spending more than thirty minutes of thought on.
    Originally Posted by Brian Pettett

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S Judge View Post
    I have heard that the iaito used in Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu for iaijutsu training is of a fixed length and is rather short, like 2 shaku 3 sun or something. Please take that with a couple grains of salt.
    Cliff, you might be correct. I know of a guy who visited Japan and spoke to Otake sensei, and in the conversation he held with him, said Donn Draeger who was about 6"2 and 200lbs use to use a 2-3-5 blade for practising his TKSR iaijutsu.

Kind regards,

Jeremy hagop

From Katori Shinto: Warrior Tradition:
    For modern japanese people of average height, the ideal iaito (sword for use in drawing practice) should have a blade no longer than roughly 2 shaku, 3 sun, 5 bu (71 cm/28 in), a curvature of 6 bu (1.8 cm/0.7 in) and not be tip heavy.
    2-3-5, incidentally, was the standard size for a katana in the Muromachi period, the time period of TSKSR's origin.

Mr. Otake's sword is not mentioned, but there is a picture and mention of his teacher's sword, a Magoroku Kanemoto blade. That would date it to 1523 to 1538. If Way of the Warrior is correct that Mr. Otake's sword is 600 years old, that would date it to the later Kamakura period (Namboku-cho), and suggest it is an extremely valuable and finely made sword.

Another couple of sources the OP should check out;

Katori Shinto Ryu - Warrior Tradition - Risuke Otake

Deity & the Sword - If you cant find any of the three volumes, try a online download.