Thread: Any opinions on this unusual bladed weapon I found

Any opinions on this unusual bladed weapon I found

This image is a high resolution upload. It is just shy of 1mb. Here is the link to the full image. http://www.wayouttheredude.com/weapon-image01.jpg

I know this is not an ancient weapon due to the fact that I could see marks inside the handle that were created by an acetylene torch to cut out the metal from inside the handle area. Any thoughts on what this is supposed to represent? It is very sharp and hard steel. It rings like a bell like it has been hammered and tempered.

Last edited by M McDonnough; 03-01-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added low resolution image to the thread

I'd guess some sort of post apocalyptic shiv Does not look very useful in most fighting systems I am aware of and definitely not useful as a tool; just the thing for your next Mad Max party though!
    Thomas Powers
    CoFounder of the Intergalactic Union of Bladesmiths
    "when you forge upon a star"---you better have your union card handy!

Thanks for the reply. Mad Max in the thunder dome. That is what we will likely use it for. A movie prop for a zombie or post apocalyptic flick. For $5 I figured it was worth it for the novelty. I love country junk shops for unusual items like this.

Hah, I know what it used to be, at least. They cut that out of one of the blades from a bowl chopper, from the meat processing industry. I suspect the maker tried to leave the original heat treatment intact.

I've thought of doing a similar project to make a Dussack, but ultimately, I don't actually want a dussack.

Woops, duplicate post
    Last edited by David R. Glier; 04-30-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: duplicate post

I love stuff like this. David: a search on Google Images for bowl chopper blades doesn't reveal any that coud be modified in this way. Are you referring to some old, obsolete design?

I have no idea just what that is but overall it's very impressive in appearance. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself.

I sent the pic to Dan Brock, a knifemaker who is really into homemade knives. He thinks it could be a WWII theater knife, that they were frequently cut from sheet steel and roughly ground into shape.