Thread: Japanese Sword help required please

Japanese Sword help required please

what is it? how old ? any good? who is the sword smith, value??
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  99.5 KB
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  102.0 KB
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  106.8 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  98.3 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  101.7 KB

looks like a modern Chinese copy of a Japanese copy of a Chinese sword like object.

Took me a minute to remember...
    Japanese ceremonial tachi for high ranking court official. Kara yo tachi or kazari tachi.

here is a real one...
    http://www.samuraisword.com/nihontod...ari_tachi3.htm
    Last edited by Christopher Treichel; 11-06-2012 at 12:55 AM.
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

I am an antique dealer 30 years, definitely not modern, when I removed the mounts on the scabbard the were packed with old pieces of Japanese paper with writing. Purchased from on 90 yr old lady who said it had been in the family for over 70 years. It was purchased at auction by her father.
    The tang has old rust on it, the lacquer scabbard has signs of old age, this is not a modern copy. I would think that the blade is much older than its mounts which at a guess would date to around 1900.
    there are remnants of sealing wax ? on the shagreen which would have attached other ornaments./
    the remaining one which covered the wooden peg is a coiled dragon and appears to be solid gold
    if you would like better photos of any parts of the sword let me know and I will post them
    Thanks for your help
    Name:  sword 024.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  99.9 KB
    Name:  sword 018.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  100.9 KB
    Name:  sword 027.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  99.2 KB
    Name:  sword 022.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  98.2 KB

Quite possibly a Meji era tourist piece.
    T. Middleton

That is a very nice sword. It is in tachi style handachi mounts. The horimono on the blade especially the fudo-myo is of high quality. The age is shin shinto and is worth a couple thousand. The mei is one of the ichimonji smiths. Not sure who. Very nice.
    Jim
    Last edited by jim rousch; 06-04-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Did not see the mei was posted

Interesting... something about the cut of those lines/engraving...
    Last edited by Christopher Treichel; 06-05-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

Ill''e agree with Jim on this being real,and the first character in the mei is "Ichi"(as in Ichimoji)...haven't looked enough to see what the other characters refer to.As to the date,the second character is "Wa"和,as in Showa or Kyowa(1801)but the picture quality plus the fact that the mekugi-ana is punched through through character doesn't help with date(which could help with further identification)...A list of dates-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_era_names

This is an authentic torikubi-no-tachi. The mei begins with 一貫, which usually precedes 一貫齋 (Ikkansai). These koshirae were produced during the Meiji period.

Date is __保十年三月 (__po ju nen san gatsu). The first kanji is unclear.

As said above, the horimono depicts Fudo Myo'o. If you have an account at the NMB, you can access an article on torikubi-no-tachi here.

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/appl...t.php?id=74508
    Last edited by Ray Singer; 01-10-2022 at 04:30 PM.

I know little about japanese swords but this does appear to have age and quality unlike modern fantasy swords. Definitely need such a sword in hand to make a proper conclusion as to just what this sword truly is.