Thread: Child's Ottoman Turk Head Sword with BAUMAN retailer/maker stamp

Child's Ottoman Turk Head Sword with BAUMAN retailer/maker stamp

Child's Ottoman Turk Head Sword with BAUMAN retailer/maker stamp...A fine quality sword I would guess is Napoleonic era and made for a child...First I've owned like this...Engraved hand forged blade with a gold plated hilt with Turk's Heard pommel...BAUMAN is stamped on both sides of the guard...Thoughts on this sword? Ed

Ed Hicks

910-425-7000

Anyone have a clue?
    Ed Hicks

910-425-7000

If anyone has seen similar swords or if you have any ideas about this sword please post replies....The quality is good enough I am sure other examples exist...I think Bauman may have been a jeweler rather than a cutler, but I'll hope for some better answers. Thanks. Ed
    Ed Hicks

910-425-7000

Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hicks View Post
    If anyone has seen similar swords or if you have any ideas about this sword please post replies....The quality is good enough I am sure other examples exist...I think Bauman may have been a jeweler rather than a cutler, but I'll hope for some better answers. Thanks. Ed
    Hello Ed,

Few things I noticed:

Hilt appears to be silver with a gold wash and has European style stamp.

Jewel applied on hilt seems to have sides and not smooth as an Islamic one would be.

Blade is clearly marked in style and technique a european blade would have and seems to be average quality.

Cannot tell from photo the technique used to apply hilt to blade, but assume it European.

Quality to craftsmanship on hilt is very good.

As there was a dramatic increase of Islamic influence on fashion in late 19th century Europe, this sword may be anywhere from Napoleanic period to late 19th century.

A quick internet search showed a Basman district in Germany and also a German settlement in Russia associated with a master silversmith.

Opinion: Concur with your opinion that European silversmith made hilt , that it has an European blade and unknown who mounted hilt to blade.

Rand
    Virginia