Thread: FS: WW1 P1908 Trooper's Sword carried by named Officer in Egypt & "Mespot"

FS: WW1 P1908 Trooper's Sword carried by named Officer in Egypt & "Mespot"

This is a British Cavalry Trooper's 1908 pattern sword which was used during WW1 by an officer of the 1/1 Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers). Lt. Archibald Dumoy Kerr was commissioned for the duration of the War and served with the 1st Sherwood Rangers during their service in Egypt and Mesopotamia. As a "temporary gentleman" Kerr may not have wanted to spend the money necessary to purchase the P1912 officer's pattern sword which the Regulations required, and instead picked up this trooper's version and had his own name and regiment etched or engraved on the blade (and stamped on the scabbard cover). From Kerr's dates of service we can say that the sword undoubtedly saw service in some of the last cavalry charges made by the British Army, against Turkish forces in the Middle Eastern theatre.

Apart from its provenance the sword is also interesting because of its leather field covering - this was an unofficial modification often performed in hot countries either to provide better camouflage or stop the bare metal of the guard and steel scabbard becoming uncomfortably hot for horse or rider. Perhaps this also explains why Kerr was using a Trooper's model sword - the difference between this and the P1912 would be minimal once both swords were covered in leather. In all other respects this is a standard pattern sword, with straight 35-inch thrusting blade and inspection marks for the factory at Enfield (where it was made in April 1915). Overall the sword is in good shape, with some wear to the leather and its stitching and a normal age patina on the blade - I'd rate it as a good, used piece.

Included in the sale is a copy of Archibald Kerr's Medal Index card confirming his entry dates for the Middle Eastern theatre, some brief biographical excerpts which would form the basis for further investigation into his life and military career, and Major Tallents' history of the Sherwood Rangers in the Great War. This volume is a modern reprint of the original 1920s book but enables the reader to gain a vivid impression of the campaign in which Kerr served.

The price for this interesting piece of Great War history is 550 GBP. Payment by PayPal for UK or international buyers, or personal cheque for UK buyers only.

Please contact me if you require any additional information or shipping estimates.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Down to 495 GBP - first and last price drop before it goes to eBay!

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Advert now withdrawn.

John