Thread: Movie Prop Swords

Movie Prop Swords

I know, like who cares. However there are some very interesting prop swords out there. Ames, Lilley etc, made many of them. (See the American short sword thread.) The movie where this sword was used has been seen by 99% of you.
    It was recently on feeBay as a French Ecole (academy) du Mars sword. (will add a photo of a real ecole sword.)
    I tried to explain to the seller that was a movie prop, but he know better and was not going to be convinced otherwise. (Yes, I know that I am a bit of a 'know it all', but I can blame it on the Asbergers.) Knowing what it really was and wanting it, but not at that absurd price, made a reasonable, but rejected offer.
    OK, look at the photos. You have 10 minutes to search your brains to remember the movie.

See next part of the thread for the answer.

Clue 1 Directed by Stanley Kubrick

Clue 2 Starring Kirk Douglas
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by T. Graham; 09-20-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: grammer

The Answer

Spartacus

Made in 1960.

The photos show the other prominent cast member, Laurence Olivier. The photos below show him wearing a sword close to this one, but with additional embellishments.

The other Roman officer is Ken (Festus of Gunsmoke) Curtis. This could be his sword.

I have owned some of the basic swords used in the film. Photos attached. Notice how the scabbard construction is the same as the officer's sword.
    These came out of the Western Costume Company, Hollywood CA and were likely made by them or a contractor.

Admit it; you would want to own this sword.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by T. Graham; 09-20-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: grammer

Thanks for sharing.
    I usually don't look at the movie swords attentively, as they are bound to disappoint, but one in particular I remember, it was a lion pommel silver-mounted hanger worn in a couple of scenes by the Squire Trelawney in the Disney 1950 original Treasure Island. Very correct for the time period. He even ordered himself a coat resembling the British Royal Navy Admiral's Pattern 1748 frock.

This is great. I posted a blog a while back on my favorite movie katanas however the ones I listed weren't used as actual props just replicas of their movie counterparts.

My favorite would be the Michonne's katana from the walking dead. I think even those who weren't into katanas before sure as heck may be now if they're Walking Dead fans!
    Katana Reviews - Quality in our weapons leads to quality in our art.