Thread: Any information on this blade? N. Africa?

Any information on this blade? N. Africa?

I was told this blade was from North Africa. Any ideas on country of origin/purpose or use/period of manufacture?

Thanks for any info/help...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have a rendevous with death at some disputed barricade, when spring comes back with rustling shade and apple blossoms fill the air. I have a rendevous with death when spring brings back blue days and fair. And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendevous. -Alan Seeger

Fellow Forum-ites,

I posted this several years ago, but never received any feedback. Just bumping this thread in hopes I might still find some assistance on ID’ing this blade. Unfortunately I don’t have it with me currently, so I don’t have any new pics. I appreciate any info that's provided!

Thanks
    I have a rendevous with death at some disputed barricade, when spring comes back with rustling shade and apple blossoms fill the air. I have a rendevous with death when spring brings back blue days and fair. And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendevous. -Alan Seeger

Hi,

The leather work and shape of hilt would make me place it to the Mandinka people.
    You find these as sword length with trade blades or locally produced copies of trade blades similar to those favoured Kaskara and Takouba. Also with re-purposed European sabre blades.
    The distinct guardless hilt makes the large versions with straight and curved blades look rather like the Omani Kattara.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 02-19-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Fantastic, thank you! I've done some web searching based on your post, and it looks like you've hit the nail on the head. You've helped to solve a years-long mystery for me. I greatly appreciate the lead!!!

Thanks