Thread: Period photos of Gurkhas and Kukri's....Post 'em!

Period photos of Gurkhas and Kukri's....Post 'em!

Hoping the Kukri guru's here can show us what they have in their books or on file. There's nothing like seeing the real deal in use and in historical context, thanks for your contributions, I hope the thread will appeal to all and become kinetic.

Here's a couple to start~~Cheers!

Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images   

4th Div Indian Gurkha, Tunisia. Neat epaulette patch too... anyone know what it is? Would also like to see regimental cap badges connected to Gurkha units too....WWI-II.

Robert
    PS....can anyone ID the knife and its maker? Note the strap coming off the handle.
    Last edited by Robert Drew; 01-20-2014 at 09:23 AM.

It's a Kukri
    Sorry I couldn't resist
    What era is the Gurkha in the 4th Div Indian? it's a great looking kukri not unlike my latest find, Different Kaudi or notch though. I have not seen straps attached to kukri and I would think it would be quite dangerous.
    I will dig out some photos but here is one.
    Last edited by David Holloway; 01-20-2014 at 08:08 AM.
    PARTING THE CLOUDS SEEKING THE WAY
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions not their own facts.

He's a WWII era Gurkha serving with Brits in North Africa. His patch is the Indian 4th dv. and the image is a red eagle. Would he be carrying the classic MKII ? Was curious if maker ID would relate to kaudi, handles, or blade profile per se?....its a thing I picked up in the realm of German helmets in that you can sometimes tell the various makers by certain subtle shell details. Serving with the Brits in N. Africa could also be a clue (possibly) as to what maker the 4th dv carried. I think that stuff is neat to know.

Robert
    PS....sorry about that Gurkha shot, I realized I cropped his shoulder patch out so I reposted.
    Last edited by Robert Drew; 01-20-2014 at 09:26 AM.

All of the above give the more knowledgable than myself an insight as to what type of kukri is shown. I can't tell from that picture what type of kukri it is I'm afraid. But on closer inspection it has a stick tang so not a Mk2, It also seems to have a diamond keeper on a flat end plate, The blade has one groove by the spine and a slight dogleg back. the kaudi looks similar to some Mk1's but it is not a Mk1 in my opinion. That is my take on it Robert but like I said I am a beginner when it comes to kuk ID.

Hey that's cool and its what we're all here for....to learn! It would be good to have pinned threads on the confirmed military makers and their unique characteristics and chronology I think. I don't even own 'one' yet so--I won't be kicking off that thread LOL((((((((
    Thanks for your input David. By the way, in the first shot I posted, do you think the pommel has a ring on it for the strap to attach?

Robert

More random period pix gleened from the net. Sorry, if there are discrepancies in image size. If I'm doing something wrong let me know how I can make them bigger....my computer skills are sorely lacking.

Robert

do you think the pommel has a ring on it for the strap to attach?
    As for rings on pommels it is not something I have seen and not something in that photo either.

More nice photos there Robert I especially like the 3rd one. I had not seen that one before a great snapshot.

Thanks, a few more......

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Drew View Post
    More random period pix gleened from the net. Sorry, if there are discrepancies in image size. If I'm doing something wrong let me know how I can make them bigger....my computer skills are sorely lacking.

Robert
    Robert,
    What is the date of picture 7? The uniforms look Crimean War period.

Yes, dated 1857. Here's the bigger shot.

Robert