Thread: Celebrity sword collectors?

Celebrity sword collectors?

Today I was reading an article on the late actor and filmmaker Harold Ramis, and was surprised to learn that he had a collection of antique swords.

By then he’d been living for nine years on Chicago’s North Shore and working out of offices in Highland Park, where he kept a collection of antique swords and other memorabilia
    http://voices.suntimes.com/arts-ente...ld-ramis-dies/

This made me wonder if there are any other celebrities (or otherwise famous) people who collect antique swords. I have heard that Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden is a collector, but I am not sure if that is accurate. Are there other celebrity sword collectors? If so, do we know what they collect?

I was once spotted on TV in the background at an Antiques Roadshow filming.
    Do I qualify?
    Mel.

I believe Bernard Cornwell of Sharpe fame has a collection of Napoleonic Wars weapons and presumably swords are included.

US martial arts actor and paet time sheriff Steven Seagal has a collection of Japanese swords and model 1911 Colt pistols (which he tends to use in his films.

Bruce Dickinson is a fencer,I would assume he has something..

Here are 2 nice pics.

Jussi Ekholm

Sean Bean collects swords, naturally.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/08/sean-b...ddit-unharmed/

Richard Sharpe in Sharpe’s Rifles was one of Sean Bean’s favorite roles. American fans may be unfamiliar with the English TV movie series (16 total) which ran on PBS in the late 1990s. Sean Bean played Officer Sharpe, the commander of an elite group of rifleman during the Penninsular War in Spain in the 19th century. The movies were based on the novels of Bernard Cornwell. During the filming of one of the early Sharpe movies, Sean Bean recalled the dangers of the set when one of the actors was accidently injured by a sword. The actor keeps a collection of swords; one of them, an original 19th century cavalry sword like the one Richard Sharpe might have used.

Basil Rathbone (long gone but not forgotten) of the movies was a fencer and collector--he had a number of presentation pieces.
    Tom Donoho

I think that the individual pictured below well deserved to be considered a celebrity, and apparently had a keen eye for swords, too...

Best,
    Juan J.
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Blog Entries
    .. well, fingering the blade with bare hands would be indicative of an uneducated handler of edged weapons.
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

Richard Garriott ("Lord British") collects swords-- some of them were sold a while back by an auction house in Austin, Texas.

Actor James Purefoy also has a collection, although mainly of swords he has used in his films:

Lucy Lawless, of Xena and Spartacus fame, used to be a collector. I once saw an interview with her in her home with an impressive splay of swords on the wall behind her.

Rob
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

Angelina Jolie used to be an active sport fencer and also collected swords: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3288560.html

I understand that there is a famous artist who has generated some exceptional works on US military subjects who collects.
    Andre F. Ducote
    Mississippi

Read about Orlando Bloom being a collector but don't have a link for it sorry.

Andre,
    Would that be Don T.?

Tom,
    Thanks--no link needed! He probably has a nice collection just from his film career. I wonder what he collects?

A commenter on the SFI Facebook page also mentioned that Babylon 5 actress, Claudia Christian, is a collector. Apparently she has a wall of swords.

Yes
    Andre F. Ducote
    Mississippi

I believe James Spader also collects swords. Someone I purchased a sword from said he once got into a bidding war with him over a 17th century Pappenheimer rapier...
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Not sure about swords, but musician Bruce Cockburn is an avid knife collector.