Name:  Mihara lo 01.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  60.8 KB

Ko Naminohara katana in full koshirae for US$3500, plus shipping.
Pictures here - https://picasaweb.google.com/1083860...minoharaKatana

Nagasa - 70.5cm or 27 3/4"
Motohaba - 30mm, Sakihaba 19mm
Kasane - 6.5mm
Hamon - somewhat deceiving...it appears to be gunome in the photos and also, to a degree, in hand, but I think that is a
construct of the ayusugi hada as the nioguchi follows a suguha pattern.
Hada - ayusugi hada in the hiraji tending to masame in the shinogiji.
Boshi - slight turn back with nie kuzure or hakikake.
Condition - in reasonable, old polish but with some minor staining issues and a few nail catchers along the ha. A few spots of loose grain or ware. Also, one spot which is either a carbon pit or old rust pitting. That is pictured a couple of times.
It looks to be suriage by about 3" due to some very slight changes in nakago patina but as there is noticeable tsuba wear the suriage was done a long time ago.
I also think the mune of the kissaki has been polished down slightly (as opposed to the ha) to preserve the integrity of
the boshi. Kissaki has a few nail catchers in its length.
I think it is Nambokucho/early Muromachi period, so Ko-Naminohara.
Overall, a good, solid example of Naminohara work with minor issues that are generally acceptable for an older blade at
this price.

Fittings
Tsuba - iron, signed Bushu Ju Haru(?)Kiyo(?). Patina is rather thin.
The design is commonly called a 'key fret' pattern; this actually represents Raiden, which is the Chinese and Japanese
physical manifestation of thunder and lightning. It also incorporates the symbol 'Manji' which is a Buddhist symbol thought
to represent a whirlpool.
Fuchi/kashira - shakudo with gold accents. Also done in the Raiden and Manji design, which ties in nicely with the tsuba.
Menuki - shakudo with gold accents. Possibly a butterfly on a flower(?) design.
One piece copper habaki with silver foil. Two solid silver seppa in key fret design. Black lacquer saya with pin stripe
pattern, gold plated shitodome and silk sageo. Silk handle wrap.
Condition - Overall, very good to excellent. I think this had a full remount in late Edo or slightly later as it's all a
very solid fit even down to the seppa.

Any questions or picture requests, please do not hesitate to contact me.