Thread: Wacky text (etched, engraved, inlaid) question

Wacky text (etched, engraved, inlaid) question

Hi!

Ok so we've seen a lot of swords with readable text through history, but I want to focus on europe, end of migration up through the Stalingrad Sword.

When you hold the blade, is it more common to read the text starting from the guard and reading towards the tip?

The Stalingrad Sword reads from guard to tip in English and Russian.

An Ulfbehrt sword (the ones I saw pic) reads from guard towards tip. Same appears to be for the first Ingelrii pic I found.

Now, they never seem to show both sides of the piece to see if the same is true on both sides.

Any glaring examples of tip towards guard reading text out there? What about in Roman/Migration times?

The Stalingrade Sword was etched like it is because of the way it was carried (Blade tip upwards) and also displayed o a wall in a case.
    Many swords of this size for commemoration etc were etched in this way.

I don't know for sure but that seems a tad unsafe. Did OSHA know they were doing that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilkinson-Latham View Post
    The Stalingrade Sword was etched like it is because of the way it was carried (Blade tip upwards) and also displayed o a wall in a case.
    Many swords of this size for commemoration etc were etched in this way.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fairbanks View Post
    I don't know for sure but that seems a tad unsafe. Did OSHA know they were doing that?
    Hi Eric,
    I don't think it over concerned Stalin very much when he kissed the sword....

Finally someone with a since of humor and a sword. HaHaHa!!!
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

The sword of Sancho IV of Castile (beginnings XIIIth century) reads from tip towards guard.

Name:  TOLEDO+.CATEDRAL+.INTERIOR.+ELL+TESORO.ALMOHADON+ARABE+Y+ESPADA+DEL+SEPULCRO+DE+SANCHO+IV+EL+BRA.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  89.0 KB

I think I read a comment on the non-consistency of the sense of writing and percentages of them in medieval swords by Ada Bruhm... or Oakeshott or Heribert Seitz... somewhere...
    Last edited by Javier Ramos; 01-24-2015 at 05:48 PM.
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.