Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest "Baltimore" cutlass being listed - Any thoughts?

It seems today that sellers use the word "we" in their description of themselves when there is only ONE. They use "we" to gain credibility so potential customers believe the person has years of expertise when in fact this is not the case. Best course of action is to avoid these sellers like the plague. There will always be such people who deceive to gain profit.

joe walters house of swords sold lots and lots swords and militaria items and some real and some faked and even some he messed with like ww11 german medals other types of cloth items and many more items
    also people may have bought these items years and years ago and now trying to sell them as real items ...bill

I contacted the seller as well. No response. Eventually there will be a very unhappy buyer. Crazy how people can spend 2K and not do any homework on a purchase first.

I have met collectors who refuse to do the actual work/research of what they collect. They would rather have a rapport with dealers and believe them trustworthy and would only sell them the best of examples. No different than some who take their vehicles in to be serviced by dealerships and get robbed at every opportunity.
    No one can change their trust beliefs, if they get robbed then they should learn, most never do or even realize they have been defrauded.
    No sense in trying to save these people, many will argue and say you are wrong.

Gentlemen, the unmarked Starr type m1826 referred to as House of swords reproductions have serviceable blades and believable hilt furniture. Uncommon on reproductions. Do these Baltimore cutlasses have similar attributes?
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

may be this auction house you speak of is a joe walters spawn ?? and still going after 20 years !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fairbanks View Post
    Gentlemen, the unmarked Starr type m1826 referred to as House of swords reproductions have serviceable blades and believable hilt furniture. Uncommon on reproductions. Do these Baltimore cutlasses have similar attributes?
    In my experience if they had used more authentic dies for the markings and less overdone patina both the 1826 Starr and Baltimore cutlass would fool most collectors. They were very good copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    I have met collectors who refuse to do the actual work/research of what they collect. They would rather have a rapport with dealers and believe them trustworthy and would only sell them the best of examples. No different than some who take their vehicles in to be serviced by dealerships and get robbed at every opportunity.
    No one can change their trust beliefs, if they get robbed then they should learn, most never do or even realize they have been defrauded.
    No sense in trying to save these people, many will argue and say you are wrong.
    So true !

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    In my experience if they had used more authentic dies for the markings and less overdone patina both the 1826 Starr and Baltimore cutlass would fool most collectors. They were very good copies.
    Paul I have two of the unmarked Starr m1826 and neither have any markings. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Starr apparently did make some 26s without markings. Most house of swords ones ive seen have a laughable die Starr stamping. Love to see some pics of your unmarked 1826s

Unmarked Starr m1826 cutlass

Paul I have 3 I had bought one recently that had slipped my mind. One is totally unmarked, one has L mark on reverse another has W or M mark. None of them have standard ET, US, N. Starr parallel on obverse.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

M1826 Starr cutlass

One of the unmarked examples above is missing pommel cap. All 4 of my marked examples zhave standard ET, US, N. Starr in parallel.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Excellent! thanks for posting. A lot to study there. You've cornered the market on 26s. i will post pics of my two when i can dig them out. Any thoughts on the 1826s with the diamond shaped engraved plated on the guards?

Paul I have seen them but have no thoughts or information of value. I believe my unmarked cutlass are period for a number of reasons although many smarter than me disagree. I have spent untold hours studying Starr swords but very few on the cutlasses m1808, m1816 or the m1826. I have run into unmarked examples on models and believe Starr sold more private purchase items than most think including non typical Starr designs. If you start a thread on the 26 I will add all specs on my 7. Eric

Eric there were absolutely unmarked period Starr cutlasses I have seen 16s and 26s. And have heard of an 08 unmarked. I have also seen "one of" probably special order cutlasses by Starr. Your unmarked 26s look to be period and have some interesting sub marks. One looks like a replaced grip. When i get a chance i will post mine and you can add yours the pics you did are excellent.
    cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12