Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Post American Civil War Eagle belt plate

Here is a nice image of an eagle belt plate:

good evening all very interesting thread ..i have i think a army maybe m1851 saber plate before i go on with this i am not good posting anything on this web site. the plate i have is brass and the side laural wreaths are copper i polished one of them they were dark color also the eagles wings are streched straight up ( 11 and one )and the eagle has no type of shield covering his breast and the breast is worn and so is his legs and he is standing on some arrows with the heads facing right and the back side has a about 1/2 wide or so prong (keeper) thank you for any help you can give me bill .. also is there so place on line that may show this style of buckle i found one place but not to helpful again thanks for any help you can give me the front of this buckle looks realey worn all his feathers worn off

Quote Originally Posted by william fisher View Post
    good evening all very interesting thread ..i have i think a army maybe m1851 saber plate before i go on with this i am not good posting anything on this web site. the plate i have is brass and the side laural wreaths are copper i polished one of them they were dark color also the eagles wings are streched straight up ( 11 and one )and the eagle has no type of shield covering his breast and the breast is worn and so is his legs and he is standing on some arrows with the heads facing right and the back side has a about 1/2 wide or so prong (keeper) thank you for any help you can give me bill .. also is there so place on line that may show this style of buckle i found one place but not to helpful again thanks for any help you can give me the front of this buckle looks realey worn all his feathers worn off
    Hello Bill the M1851 deserves it own thread. They are still in production, so photographs is needed. I would start a thread if I had any.
    Do you have a good digital camera?

hi T. Graham yes my wife has cell phone that takes pictures possibly will that due ? ah while back i tried to post some picture an had a LOT of problem s trying to up load them, then Dan R helped me out I e-mailed him the pictures and i got a good answer from him possibly we can do this the same ?? .... bill p.s last time i tried posting some sword picts it was a mess and never got through

Full dress belt wear.

This plate has clues that indicate it was on a company grade full dress belt. Note the parallel wear under the adjustment loop. This is were the gold plated, copper wire rubbed against the finish on the plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

This unusual example is Indian wars period belt is a company grade "staff" officer, because the branch color is black. This is new to me; anyone see it before.
    When received, it was completely apart and the plate was plain brown. I dissembled the plate by removing the two nuts and cleaned the wreath and gently cleaned the rest. The gilt on the brown leather belt had become separated because the leather continued to shrink (3/8 inch to the foot) and the gilt wire cut through the thread. I completely removed it and tacked it back on with fabric glue, which can be removed if necessary. There is a picture of the 'before".

Tim,

Black branch color would be either Staff or Chaplain Corps. In theory, Chaplains do not wear swords (although I have seen such presentation swords) so your belt would most probably be for the Staff Corps.

George
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

In interesting photo of a marching band with 1874 pattern eagle belt plates. I bet over one million have been made.

This period tin type has two senior militia NCOs with Ames, catalog no.500 swords and eagle belt plates. Ca. 1870-80's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12