Thread: Grip advice wanted for single handed sword

Grip advice wanted for single handed sword

Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted on here so mods please move if I have put this in the wrong place.

So long story short I have recently got back into training after a gap of a few years and am struggling with my grip, in particular I am getting blisters on my index and ring fingers close to where the finger joins my hand.
    I am only practicing solo and test cutting as I don't have the time to join up with a group again so don't have the benefit of any first hand advice.

I have been practicing some solo drills with a cold steel Viking sword and have noticed the grip is quite thin and angular which may be the reason however it is just as possible that my grip is wrong.
    I have tried both hammer and handshake grips but neither seem to prevent chaffing during the drills.

I have a Paul Chen single handed sparring sword from when I was practicing Fiore which has a considerably wider/rounder grip which seems more comfortable.

So my questions tithe experts are-
    Are my blisters just result of a lack of sword use and do i just work through them till calluses form? (They did appear within 20 minutes of my first drill session)
    Should I look at re wrapping the grip to better fit my hands?
    Does it sound like its my grip that is the problem and if so can anyone direct me to somewhere that might give me some pointers? (I am used to longsword primarily so single hand grip is new to me)

Any pointers greatly appreciated, Colin
    "Say you know when you know; say you dont when you dont. That is knowledge." - Confucius

"The pen is mightier than the sword you say? Lets test that theory shall we, you can have a biro?"

www.the-exiles.org.uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki7fSVkT-GU

Unless Matt Easton links you his own video. It was oddly timed. But, are you wearing gloves? I still wear gloves, even when just drilling.

If you are, make sure the gloves fit. If they do, it's a hard to diagnose online. Could be you're gripping too tight. Alternatively, if your grip is uncomfortable, there's nothing wrong with rewrapping or modifying it. It is, after all, your sword.

Funnily enough I saw this shortly after posting and have been back through the rest of matts recent Viking era grip videos.

Like an idiot I wasn't wearing gloves for my first drill session and only put them on after the blisters appeared.
    With a day's rest for my hands and gloves on today it is much better do it may be training needs to be with gloves from now on.
    I still think the grip on the CS sword is particularly angular and quite sharp so may look at a light rewrap to see if it helps.
    Now I just need to sort out my wrist stamina, moulinet's with this weight of sword are not very easy!
    "Say you know when you know; say you dont when you dont. That is knowledge." - Confucius

"The pen is mightier than the sword you say? Lets test that theory shall we, you can have a biro?"

www.the-exiles.org.uk

Well, if your developing your wrists, I might look at wrist wraps like the ones used in weightlifting. Just a cloth or nylon wrap with a bit of velcro. It supports your wrist and, once you figure out the exact amount of pressure to put, does not impair your movement. I basically don't fight, and rarely drill without them.