Thread: Help needed please.

Help needed please.

Hello Everyone
    This may be an impossible request but I would like to invest in a Japanese katana. I have absolutely no knowledge of these swords hence my plea for help.
    Would anyone kindly point me in the direction of a good book on the subject to begin with.
    I live in the UK and would appreciate if someone could tell me of a good, trustworthy dealer where I could make a purchase.
    Any pointers as to what I could expect for between £1000 to £3000 would be helpful also.
    I apologise if my questions are rediculously simplistic but your patience and help would be gratefully received.
    Many thanks
    John

Learn first, buy later. My website linked below is a good place to start. My various links pages
    have many dozens of dealers sites listed. Don't buy until you know what you are buying and
    what a good sword is. This forum and most others are swamped by folks who thought they
    were buying a good Japanese sword only to find out it was a Chinese fake. Study, study,
    study, go to sword shows, join a sword club (several in the UK), learn then buy or you will
    likely regret it later. Just some free advice from an old, old Nihontophile.
    Rich
    Last edited by Rich S; 02-21-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: spelling

John, The online Ohmura Study, http://ohmura-study.net/900.html, is also an excellent way to learn about the war swords (or gunto).
    "Treat everyone you meet with dignity"

Yes, Ohmura san's page is excellent. So is the Japanese Sword Society of the US page on fakes:

http://jssus.org/nkp/fake_japanese_swords.html

Rich

Thank you very much to both Rich and Bruce for their great help. Much appreciated guys.
    Thanks again
    John