Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A sword with Indian Mutiny connection

I could not see any sign of a crest or coat of arms on R B Smith's memorial:
    http://www.victorianweb.org/sculpture/philip/17.html

But then a breakthrough!

Smith's crest is shown on this book at does appear in Fairbairn's as well. So it is definitely NOT R B Smith:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Matt Easton; 07-19-2019 at 12:50 AM.

A remaining potential Smith/Smyth candidate is Edward James Smith (reached Colonel and made Companion of the Bath in 1845) - He was a Captain in 1843-44 in Scinde and served in the Sikh Wars of 1845-46 as Lieut-Colonel. He could have ordered this sword before or after that campaign.

Though I have an early Wilkinson which was definitely used in the 45/46 Sikh War and it has an earlier style of etching to this sword. I tend to agree with those above who have said that this looks more like a c.1850 Wilkinson than a c.1845 Wilkinson - the placement of the maker's name and address is a usual indicator.

This now leads to another possibility.... That the coat of arms is not for Smith or Smyth. When looking for other compatible coats of arms I found a few other possibilities and a viewer of my channel called Ethan Webster has highlighted the possibility of Fraser (we've always questions whether the three 'bezzants' are actially something else, as they do seem to have surface engraving within them):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Alex Fraser - Lord Saltoun. How does this compare?

P. S. Just the crest I mean, I can't find a connection of the Lords Saltoun to the Bengal engineers but the crest is a good match for your etching.

P. P. S. The Alexander fraser who joined the bengal engineers in 1843 has a father James Fraser, Bishop of Manchester of who it is said " eldest son of James Fraser, of a branch of the family of Fraser of Durris". A search on 'Fraser of Durris family crest' appears to link them to the Frasers of Philorth who used the crest below.

Name:  Screenshot_20190719_230623-416x785.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  91.6 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20190719_230642.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  88.4 KB
    Last edited by james.elstob; 07-20-2019 at 03:11 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123