Thread: Classification of naginata blades

Classification of naginata blades

Could someone help me with literature on classification of naginata blades? Do you know any books and articles? Thanks in advance

There are Knutsen's two books. These are the 1st and 2nd edition, but with a 40 year gap between them, there are a lot of changes. Different enough so that it's worth having both if interested in the subject.

R. M. Knutsen, Japanese Polearms, 1963:
    https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-pole.../dp/B0007IZ5KA

R. Knutsen, P. Knutsen, Japanese Spears, 2004:
    https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Spea.../dp/1901903567
    "In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Thank you for your reply. is it about use? I am actually looking for information on their blade profile and classification?

I have a little info on naginata on my website:

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/polearms.htm

Thank you very much Rich. Is there a book on classification of Japanese jingasa and also matchlock guns?

I'm sure there are books on Matchlocks; not sure about Jingasa. Not my area of interest, so do a search on Google or whatever to see what's available. Might try Amazon - they carry everything

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Thank you for your reply. is it about use? I am actually looking for information on their blade profile and classification?
    They discuss the evolution of the naginata, and changes in blade profile and size, and attachment (loops, sockets, and the conventional tanged blade). There is also stuff about use.
    "In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Hi Manouchehr,

Don't forget the essay "Development and History of the Naginata" by Ellis Amdur in his book Old School: Essays on Japanese Martial Traditions. Some information of classifications and evolution of the Naginata.
    J. Nicolaysen