Thread: Translation request . . .

Translation request . . .

Good day to all, it's been some time since I've visited the forum. Happy New Year to all and hope everyone is well.

I came across an interesting sword; but, have no knowledge in kanji.

Was hoping I might get a translation from one of the fine folks here.

Here is a photo of the signature - - -

Name:  rbp sword resized.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  42.3 KB

"Arigato"

Roger,

That IS interesting! do you have more pics of the whole sword and fittings? It has a wartime Seki inspection stamp over a swordsmith name "from Seki" but the fuchi is clearly civilian. I'm VERY new at learning smtih names, so hopefully someone with the proper skills will hop in and help!

So far, I've got possibilities:
    友信 (Tomonobu)
    or
    俊治 (Toshiharu)
    or
    政広 (Masahiro)
    the bottom kanji could be "祐", but I've never seen it written that way.

Hopefully someone with help!
    "Treat everyone you meet with dignity"

I believe it is "Seki Hiromitsu". A Showa era smith; blade has Seki stamp as Bruce noted.
    See the middle oshigata on this page:

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/promei.htm

Rich

広光 (Hiromitsu)

Thanks Rich! I toyed with that too. I guess it really helps to have the actual nakago signature to compare vs just the text versions look me at Swordindex.

Bruce -

Text versions ?? What do you mean? Just curious.

Rich

Rich,

I've begun trying to recognize smith names using the Japanese Sword Index page on Seki smiths: https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/seki.htm

Bruce -

Yes, the smith's name and kanji are very helpful. I've never been able to translate their real names. :-(
    My translation skills are terrible; just a matter of matching Kanji with various Kanji tables I have downloaded.

Rich

My best guess is Toshimitsu 俊光. Is it text book perfect, no. However these WWII era blades are known to be oddly cut in so many examples.

If you have Slough's look at pg 33 example B. It is Hidetoshi, but look at the "Toshi" character and compare it to the one in question here.

That doesn't mean I am right and I confess the the character in the photo is a bit hard for me to see. Also, in a quick search I could find no reference to a Seki Toshimitsu, sooo ???

I don't have access to the sword at this time, so I've tried to enhance the signature as best I could and here is perhaps a better photo -

Name:  resized.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  91.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    My best guess is Toshimitsu 俊光. Is it text book perfect, no. However these WWII era blades are known to be oddly cut in so many examples.

If you have Slough's look at pg 33 example B. It is Hidetoshi, but look at the "Toshi" character and compare it to the one in question here.

That doesn't mean I am right and I confess the the character in the photo is a bit hard for me to see. Also, in a quick search I could find no reference to a Seki Toshimitsu, sooo ???

I appreciate the effort to enlarge the photo, it did help.

Still think Toshimitsu, though again that is simply my best guess. Sorry, I could not provide anything more definitive.