Thread: c1860 British Artillery Special 4 bar hilt pattern Officers Sword

c1860 British Artillery Special 4 bar hilt pattern Officers Sword

Hi Guys

I have been attempting to describe this special pattern sword to a new collector, but not having an example myself have found this challenging. Robson's described it as follows "These swords have the normal Royal Artillery blade and a four-bar steel hilt – effectively an ordinary three-bar with an extra bar. These are clearly not a regulation pattern and were presumably designed as private fighting swords. As such, they are extremely handsome weapons, giving good protection to the hand and being very well balanced; indeed it is difficult to understand why this pattern was not adopted as the regulation. A least five specimens are known, made by different makers, and it is tempting to think they were made for the Indian Mutiny except that at least one sword was apparently made for an officer who retired in 1849.”

I only have the one picture of this pattern from Robson's book and was hoping that members who do possess this pattern would post examples here. Robson refers to only five specimens being known however I doubt that is still the case.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Cathey,

I've had three of these pass through my hands, one of which I still have. I'll post details separately so as to avoid thread confusion!

1) Presentation sword to Trooper G. Doubleday of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, given in May 1873 by the Colonel of the regiment (who had previously served in the 17th Light Dragoons). Retailed by "C Johnson, Gun Maker", Newark.
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

2 - Another Sherwood Rangers presentation sword, to Lance-Corporal A.T. Ascroft, dated May 1888, by Harvey of Birmingham
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

3 - Sword of Brigadier-General R. Westmacott, Bombay Staff Corps, who served extensively in the Indian Army and commanded a brigade in the Tirah campaign of 1897/8

Hi John

Great examples, thank you for posting them. All three appear to have a cavalry connection rather than Artillery, I wonder if anyone has one with an Artillery blade they can post, as referred to in Robson.

Cheers Cathey and Rex

Seems to be more cavalry than artillery with 4 bar. Hamilton Cranley Onslow. 4 bar Wilkinson with Russian blade and all leather India scabbard. Note the Wilkinson ledger has it marked as a 3 bar. Wilkinsons did not count the knucklebow as a bar as we do today.

Last edited by Will Mathieson; 04-26-2017 at 09:40 PM.