Thread: Indian Mountain Artillery Sword Frog ?

Indian Mountain Artillery Sword Frog ?

Gents, recently acquired this rather nice frog which fits my Thurkle Indian Mountain Gunners sword perfectly, but is it correct? I'm sure it's British Indian given the distinctive V shape but it's unmarked and clearly for fitting to a Sam Browne belt. My scabbard is 2" wide and .5" deep, so that precludes most bayonet, drummers and pioneer types. I'm struggling to find any examples of turn of the century Indian Cavalry Swords with a stud on the locket which this is clearly made for, and the few photos there are of Indian Mountain Gunners show a somewhat different frog.Any suggestions please, thanks, Ben.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi Ben,

Do you have a clear image of a gunner wearing his sword with the frog in view?

Hi Gordon, best I can find is this image from my copy of 'Tales of the Mountain Gunners by CHT Macfetridge & JP Warren' showing a crew with a 10 Pr BL gun 1902. Clearly not my frog, but as we know regimental patterns differed, best, Ben. Plus another different frog image.
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 06-21-2017 at 03:44 PM.

An 1856p pioneers sword could fit? It has an adjusting strap, possibly made as a somewhat universal fitting frog?

Hi Will thanks, pretty sure The 1856p Pioneer sword was belt mounted as per this image.

Transitional periods can be tough to pin down. The slit for the stud does not necessarily mean it was used. With many British regiments and adding Indian regiments there are variations with use. Photos hopefully will answer what it was used for.

The photos appear to show baldrics which are held in place by a belt across the waist, rather than the Sam Browne style frog you have.

Thanks Jonathan, certainly the first image seems to be a baldric and the British version was a buff leather baldric, can't find my pics at the moment, here's a later image you've probably seen, more froggish! But looking at my frog in more detail, given it's good condition and style I doubt it's earlier than WWI.
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 06-23-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    Thanks Jonathan, certainly the first image seems to be a baldric and the British version was a buff leather baldric, can't find my pics at the moment, here's a later image you've probably seen, more froggish! But looking at my frog in more detail, given it's good condition and style I doubt it's earlier than WWI.
    I agree that the most recent image shows frogs.

Gentlemen,

Of the photos taken by Frederick Bremner (circa 1897), one of the No. 4 (Hazara) Mountain Battery, and one of the No. 5 (Bombay) Mountain Battery, all the gunners are wearing baldric belts held in place under their waist belts; unfortunately in all cases the actual detail of the section holding the sword scabbard is obscured.